Q-Nuts: "It's the Delta Variant, Charlie Brown"

It hurt to read this. But not because it’s not good. It’s just… in peanuts… everyone gets to be alive at the end so it’s cute.

I don’t know if this is good humor but it’s good art.

8 Likes

proxy-image

11 Likes

I personally think Mr Bolling is one of the top comic satirists in the country. Hands down.
These Qnuts parodies… the Calvin and Hobbes former guy strips… the R Scary Busytown satires were my personal favorites. More please.

I sure wish Boingboing would give this guy a raise! Sheesh.
They must be spending all their giant piles of lucre on Rob’s photoshopping of mouth/eyes/faceswappage (chef’s kiss). This part is /s, the preceding paragraph is /truth

5 Likes

Eye mouths are worth their weight in lucre.

6 Likes

I am (I’m not the original poster). I’m more familiar with parading a thing in order to expose truths about or merely laugh at the thing itself, like say a Star Wars parody that focuses on how despite the trappings of SCI-FI it is really fantasy, or parody of Lord Of The Rings that focuses on how it & many other fantasy settings are incredibly racist (file off the name Scottish, and slap the name dwarves on it and go!).

I find this one odd because it uses Peanuts to say things I think were not adjacent to Charles Schultz’s beliefs. So we are making a parody of Peanuts to examine something that isn’t Peanuts, but antivaxers (and Trumpasts). Which I do agree are fertile grounds to mock and/or examine…but it feels like Peanuts isn’t really the right tool to do it.

(this isn’t a legal argument, or even a moral one, it just feel off to me, and not so funny – if you enjoy it, cool, I’m not here to rain on anyone’s parade…well, ok, some people’s, but not over enjoying comics, you go do you!)

It feels very appropriate to me, for characters who are as you put it “adjacent” to the issues at question are suddenly staking out positions and acting according to these adjacent biases.

To me that feels like the way real life has been for the past 6 years as ordinary people in my life that I thought I knew were suddenly and gravely aligned with frankly preposterous views and policies originating from trump and the right.

Yes, in fact this comic strip is just like how real life has been, just as disturbing.

10 Likes

A pox upon your house for that heresy.

It’s SCI-FI.

9 Likes

I don’t know, I mean I guess Lucy could be down for antivaxing (or basically anything cruel), but I don’t see Schroeder as a Trumpist.

I can buy “random background girls” as having any stance that would let a main character highlight their own differences or similarities.

Snoopy is always depicted as good, but having a bit of an imagination…that one I would buy as having an appropriate positions to parody as a gun not though given his WWI fixation.

I’ll admit, that is a strong argument.

My best retort: please don’t remind me. I’ll be in my trailer, I can’t work with you people.
(15 minutes later…leaves trailer, I forgot, no power == no air conditioning)

I repent!

I’ll go edit the original.

10 Likes

Not the only person who’s become anti-science lately, I guess.

/s

6 Likes

Why not? After all, the past few years have seen more discussion of white supremacy in music theory and the classical music canon. Schroeder as our musical expert in the strips could easily be the type to say, “Listen, it’s not racist to say that white people created all of our foundational music and everyone else was just [says something racist].”

3 Likes

Noooooo! It’s SF!!!

4 Likes

Bolling is playing on Schroeder’s conservative hero-worship. Instead of a bust of Beethoven it’s one of Biff, and MAGAism takes the place of classical music as something that Charlie Brown says time has passed by for most Americans.

Each strip takes a childish aspect of an original character’s personality (e.g. Lucy’s mean-spiritedness, Snoopy’s fantasism, Violet’s and Patty’s exclusionary bullying) that was played for low-stakes laughs and twists it into something darker. Taking a closer look, it seems to me that Ruben (as one might expect) paid a lot of attention to the original and put a lot of care into this parody.

[This has been another episode of “Gracchus Ruins Comedy by Explaining the Joke”]

18 Likes

5 Likes

Not Siffy?

4 Likes

Magats are not, in my limited experience, particularly open to supporting liberal things like the arts. And don’t forget, Schroeder is also known to occasionally play some Jazz. At least around christmas time. The maga take on Schroeder feels off-character to me as well.

1 Like

Well played Lucy, well played.

2 Likes

It was Schroedingers basement, it both existed and did not exist in some kind of Qtard quantum state.

1 Like
2 Likes

THIS!!!

This is why my slanty eyed ass was only shopping at my local “ethnic” markets for food (and am likely to go back to that).

It’s never been weird to go shopping in a face mask in an Asian grocery store. Maybe you have allergies. Maybe it’s cold season. Maybe you think you might be coming down with something, and are being considerate to fellow shoppers (but still need to get food for the kids). Nobody cared/cares.

My local middle eastern store is locked down just as tight as the Asian stores. Maybe it’s a more recent experience with MERS (culturally), but they’re not tolerating any maskhole behavior.

This could have been normalized for the greater American society as well, but the DeathCult politicized it so that no “Real American” would be caught with a mask on. (was going to say "no “real american” would be caught dead with a mask on, but that’s not how hey’ll be caught dead (likely intubated)).

ARGH!!! (charlie brown!)

15 Likes
5 Likes