? ❓ ⚛ Questions. Questions? QUESTIONS!? ⚛ ❓?

Were we not good? I thought I was just helping you understand that G.E. Moore wasn’t the dispositive word on Hegel? Like analytic philosophy for, well, most topics? :wink: So, yeah, you’re welcome, right?

2 Likes

You think appealing to the authority of one philosopher will convince me that Hegelianism is alive and well? Can we talk about something saner, like flying pyramids?

4 Likes

Would you care for something to talk about? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Since you’re posting an image from “The Meaning of Life,” do you know how G.E. Moore would analyze the question “What is Life?”

5 Likes

Isn’t it a tasty cereal?

4 Likes

… for certain definitions of “tasty”?

7 Likes

I suspect some may not appreciate the Marxism of the Frankfurt guys and want to stick with the Enlightenment guys…?

2 Likes

Isn’t it, even with all the 90s stuff? Hadn’t I heard Whedon was bummed about Avengers? Doesn’t she love Buffy (and hate Buffy’s choices in boyfriends)?

Isn’t GITS great and won’t you enjoy it as a great parable about Neo-Japan? Isn’t it easier than ever to watch some great anime? Aren’t there some classics, but also some new shows/stories to watch? Isn’t Madoka Magica great, for one? Or how about Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann? Aren’t those series, but they are short and worth investing the time?

4 Likes

Can’t I say no?

3 Likes

Which is undeniably set in Japan, with Japanese characters, and is not just some rando cartoon, but a much beloved parable about Tokyo in the future, and is well-written, beautifully animated, and very Japanese? why does everyone get so pissy whenever people say, “hey, how about let’s not make all things with white people, maybe”?

4 Likes

???

5 Likes

Thank you, and aren’t I grateful that you share their sensitivity and curiosity for cultural questions?

And don’t I love that Richard Rorty found fascinating questions to ask about Hegel and Moore?

3 Likes

Did you say Hume?

3 Likes

Don’t I want to read about Hume as social critic?

2 Likes

Hey, don’t I still wear socks?

2 Likes

I don’t know… do you? Can I guess yes?

I don’t know… do you? Can I guess yes? :wink:

Also, didn’t the stupid pop ups cause the article to go away for me? Did you guys read it? Can I say that I’m not a huge fan of Hume or that I don’t know much of his work? Don’t you all know I’m a 20th century historian, and an America and the world… er… ist, and a popular culturalist?

5 Likes

Doesn’t James Harris’s biography of Hume look like a fun reconsideration of Hume as social critic?

Fun partly because Kantian metaphysics have been generally discredited but Kantian morality narratives still pop up a lot socially?

Who suspected Hume’s ideas about social criticism might have more validity and durability than his ideas about metaphysics?

2 Likes

Do people think in terms of metaphysics much anymore, at least in the classical sense? Isn’t there a sense that the field rested on a merging of science and philosophy that just really doesn’t exist anymore, since they are understood as separate fields now a days? Am I wrong in thinking that?

6 Likes

Don’t I sometimes think scientists and engineers are the only professionals left who still want to consider metaphysical questions?

7 Likes

Do they consider them? Is there a large metaphysical movement in science and engineering? Wouldn’t it be considered too philosophical? Isn’t this a result of the ever increasing complexity of the “division of labor”?

6 Likes