? ❓ ⚛ Questions. Questions? QUESTIONS!? ⚛ ❓?

9 Likes

Why u no like the King Of All Toast Spreads? It am delicious.

1 Like

7 Likes

Can’t it be QUESTIONably delicious?

5 Likes

Didn’t Penelope nearly make the front page today?

3 Likes

Which Penelope? What does this mean?

2 Likes

Did you know that 7658 is the largest known number with distinct digits that doesn’t have any digits in common with its cube? Aren’t math facts the best?

6 Likes

Aren’t proofs the best?

6 Likes

Aren’t you right, though with the nature of the questions thread aren’t we unlikely to see them here?

3 Likes

□?

1 Like

Hmm, if 8008^3 = 513,537,536,512,
and 7887^3 = 490,609,013,103
doesn’t that show two quick examples that contradict the claim?
Don’t we have to bug Cliff Pickover now?

3 Likes

What does ‘distinct digits’ mean? Wasn’t I assuming that it means ‘no repeats’?

2 Likes

Don’t those both violate this rule:

?

(Do you ever really want to bug Cliff?)

2 Likes

Isn’t that fair enough?

Shouldn’t we judge it by the standards of the day, even as we understand that it’s not our standards? At the same time, shouldn’t we realize that people criticized and carved out alternatives to racism then, as much as they do now?[quote=“d_r, post:1102, topic:76536”]
do we really need to decide that either publisher Kodansha is wrong when they say that using a big star like SJ will spread this piece of Japanese culture across the world (and incidentally bring them nice profits which will support their ability to keep publishing such manga), or that the protesters are wrong when they argue that this was an opportunity to correct a Hollywood tradition of underrepresentation of Asian actors and misrepresentation of Asian culture?
[/quote]

Don’t I think it’s not either-or, but isn’t it still about assumptions about the consumption? Isn’t the story good enough to rise above, since GITS already found a pretty large cult audience here as an anime? [quote=“d_r, post:1102, topic:76536”]
Or can we continue this discussion (though internationally, and not in the form of questions), and use it as an opportunity to discuss these things, and whether it is SJ or anyone else hope it is a good movie and not offensive aside from the casting, and that it creates exposure for the rest of the cast so they too can have their chance at stardom?
[/quote]

shouldn’t we absolutely continue the discussion, even if we disagree and aren’t we doing that now? At what point do we move past the “white star opening doors for minorities” trope and into the realm of POC as stars in their own right? Hasn’t that already happened in the music industry? and doesn’t much of the main cast not japanese, even if they aren’t exclusively white? Soooo… can I say, I don’t know the answer, other than having conversations about this and not just shrugging our shoulders helps?

3 Likes

Can the square root of 2 be rational? In other words, do there exist natural numbers p and q, not both even, such that (p/q)^2=2? Isn’t it obvious that that is equivalent to p^2=2q^2? But then, since p^2 is even, it must actually be divisible by 4 - do you see why? But when you divide p^2=2q^2 by 4, do you get the same answer I do, namely (q^2)/2? Is it clear that this means that q^2 is even, so q is even? Can you now find the contradiction, making this impossible?

Is that not a reductio proof that the square root of 2 is irrational?

5 Likes

Oh, yes, you’re right, that was part was part of the criteria wasn’t it?

I could write a program to do a simple proof by exhaustion for numbers up to 8 digits to do the check, but should I?

1 Like

Isn’t it fun to bug Cliff? He’s really nice, and very interesting, have you ever emailed him?

1 Like

Can I confess that I haven’t? Is he going to get barraged now that you posted this?

2 Likes

Isn’t that doubtful since he doesn’t really reply on Twitter, and his email’s on an academic page one would have to search for?

On a separate note, doesn’t this seem to show 7658 is the largest number with distinct digits that doesn’t have any digits in common with its cube?

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

cand = 10
while (cand < 100000000) do
  #with requirement of uniq digits, need to check up to here
  digits = cand.to_s.chars.map(&:to_i)
  if digits.uniq.length == digits.length
    # has unique digits - proceed with check
    cube = cand**3
    cube_digits = cube.to_s.chars.map(&:to_i).uniq
    found = true
    cube_digits.each do |d|
      found = false if digits.include? d
    end
    puts cand if found
  end
  cand += 1
end

$ ./int_chk.rb 
1 Like

Is this property dependent on the radix? For example, in hex, wouldn’t a different number be the largest with distinct digits and none in common with its cube?

4 Likes