R-CA Devin Nunes will resign from Congress to head Trump's new media company

To break up the big tech oligopoly, yeah. But something about the words mark opportunity to disrupt gives me the creeps.

(Also, is Netflix part of that? There are a few alternatives to Netflix.)

3 Likes

The way the slides don’t quite fit my browser window…

b25d2d515a53c5ed9d6c6a75ce81ad63251572c6_full

3 Likes

?

You’re misreading “ridiculous 22-slide-long.”

4 Likes

I probably am, it’s too early and I wasn’t awake

3 Likes

It just sucks that their version of “break up the monopoly” (i.e. force weirdo “conservative” versions of every platform that exist as a conspiracy mill / private fundraising channel for Republicans) is the one that gets news traction instead of “force interoperability to allow emerging playgrounds for online interaction.”

9 Likes

Trump’s social media company looks very much like an astoundingly bold grift. The company doesn’t even really exist and yet they have managed to fleece a lot of money through their SPAC hustle, and now they are doubling down with other shenanigans.

If it ever becomes an actual social media company I’ll eat my hat. But the rubes who believe the nonsense will certainly pour their money in.

The sad thing is that I’d really like to see one or five new social media companies come online to break the grip of the Zuckermouth. This, however, is not that.

7 Likes

Yeah.

THAT’LL protect Nunez from the January 6th Commission. Just like it has all the other Drumph faithful who believed he’d save their asses, and who are currently turning state’s evidence by the bushel…

2 Likes

It is going to be hilarious watching Trump’s media crash and burn. Under the guise of free speech it will inevitably end up being the most heavily trolled and censored social media outlet ever.

1 Like

Good riddance! California deserves so, so much better than this bigoted conspiracy asshole, who is resigning so he can CONTINUE to work for TFG.

#NeverVoteRepublican
#TaxTheRich
#TaxTheChurches
#ITrustScience - not religion
#ITrustWomen - not RepugliKKKlanners

2 Likes

she is, she just isn’t getting the coverage that she used to because capitalism, misogyny, and the lack of presidential election coverage

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-warren-says-tech-giants-like-amazon-are-helping-to-drive-up-prices/ar-AARz6C1

7 Likes

Wait I thought the expression was like “rats leaving a sinking ship?!”

3 Likes

The point isn’t to make a media company. The point is to fleece a large number of rubes with the idea of a media company.

Look at the PIPE deal tied to the company, the business proposal to hedge fund types essentially being ‘We’ll sell you a bunch of shares for x, which you will be allowed to instantly sell on the day of the IPO to all the rubes for a profit. We have a vast army of gullible rubes who will buy those shares from you despite there being no actual company, sales or operations’.

Monetizing stupidity for personal gain is basically the Trump brand, and he is blazing ahead with it once again.

11 Likes

Bye, Devin! Don’t let the cows kick you on the way out!

Actually, do let them! :cow2:

4 Likes

You learn something new every day. Like how I just learned that 5=1, because five companies make a monopoly.

2 Likes

(Also, is Netflix part of that? There are a few alternatives to Netflix.)

There’s an acronym in finance for the big tech monsters - FAANG Facebook (now Meta), Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google (Alphabet).

So yep, Netflix is one of the biggies.

Any of them could squash Trump’s new venture with the money they find down the back of the sofa.

2 Likes

Nah, he’ll get his (substantial) salary. Trump doesn’t stint on that. The thing to worry about is the long-term value of his stock options, which obviously expire worthless if the venture falters. But really, I dont think there is a ceiling for American stupidity: how can a media venture that’s more-Fox-than-Fox, Trump-branded at that, fail? These Q-zombies would mainline Trump if he was a drug.

But Giuliani wasn’t a salaried employee. He was a Kraken volunteer.

R-CA Devin Nunes will resign from Congress to head Trump’s new media company

How can he “resign”, when he was always an employee of Trump, while moonlighting in Congress?

2 Likes

Tell that to Rudy Giuliani.

3 Likes

Tell that to the architects, interior designers, writers and party planners I met in NYC who all told me how Biff stiffed them, saying that the exposure from doing work for him would be worth more than the contracted amount. Longtime family retainers aside, he’s a notorious deadbeat. Nunes will end up getting the shaft, guaranteed.

[also, please don’t respond to people by editing the post to which they’re replying. It’s frowned upon by the mods and goes against the design of Discourse]

3 Likes

(For years now) I can’t tell who the joke’s on any more

2 Likes

I would expect Nunes to install his cow as CFO. You know, keep your enemies in the boardroom or something like that…

1 Like