Rabbit hole in England leads to 700-year old Knights Templar cave

Fourth paragraph in TFA:

Their original purpose is shrouded in mystery, but Historic England, which describes the caves as a “grotto”, believes they were probably built in the late 18th or early 19th Century - hundreds of years after the Templar order was dissolved.

So not Templars then, or 700 years old, and clearly not a rabbit’s hole either.
It is in England though, so at least part of the headline is correct.

4 Likes

By the craggy hill-side,
Through the mosses bare,
They have planted thorn-trees
For pleasure here and there.
If any man so daring
As dig them up in spite,
He shall find their sharpest thorns
In his bed at night.

William Allingham

3 Likes

Stonehenge isn’t all that unusual apart from being build out of stone. We know of many other similar structures. Preservation is the key issue for their lack of popularity and visibility as the majority were/are earthworks (wood/earth constructions).

3 Likes

Yes. The story doesn’t go into detail about sausages, though, which is probably just as well.

3 Likes

For certain, limited, definitions of the term “soon”.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t understand how these guys could build either Stonehenge or an 18th C grotto.

7 Likes

I was imagining the Neolithic equivalent of Bower and Chorley :wink:

3 Likes

“One year after Christmas, …”

So … On Christmas?

10 Likes

That style of long hair was extremely popular with 14 year old girls in 1990.

4 Likes

That’s because they weren’t. They were built by Iain Cuthbertson’s enormous hands.

4 Likes

There’s more than one?

18 Likes

The real question is how soon the History Channel show The Curse of Oak Island will try to connect the cave to Oak Island. That show name-drops “the Knights Templar” as often as politicians used to refer to “9/11”.

8 Likes

So, he doesn’t hate you? He’s just a Knight Templar and that’s his thing?

2 Likes

The clue, of course, is in the name.

Though that is a bit like saying “a gold Apple Watch isn’t unusual apart from being made out of gold”. The relative energy requirements to build stone monuments in the Beaker* era were very high, which is presumably why they were much less common. We can at least conclude that Stonehenge and Ggantija (which is ca. 1000 years older) were very important to the people that either built them or had them built.

*Unlike @wrecksdart I am taking this quite seriously. The Templars, excuse me while I indulge in sarcastic laughter.

4 Likes

Rudy Giuliani is an outlier and should not have been counted. Thanks, tumblr.

2 Likes

Still don’t understand the hype for stone henge with avebury nearby.

4 Likes

I can’t help thinking a lot of it is because Stonehenge is just off the A303, one of the main roads to the South-West, while Avebury has far less traffic pass by it.

“religious importance to contemporary pagans” though, cf Wikipedia - :confounded::rage::stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Alas, my statistical tensor calculus of topological variations skills are a bit rusty.

I wonder if the author of that article was serious, or is this another joke on the new wave of crappy journals?

1 Like