Raccoon attacks Seattle

Then furiously washes hands…

2 Likes

One time about 10 years ago or so, I accidentally caught a raccoon in a cat trap. I was after a particular feral cat, but caught Rocky Raccoon instead. There’s a guy who has a private business called Critter Gitter that the city and county always used, so I called him up. At that time, he wanted $70 to deal with the raccoon. He explained that if you let them loose within 60 miles of where they came from, they’d make their way back.

I don’t know if what the Critter Gitter man said was factually true or not, but I ended up taking that raccoon at least that far away before I released him/her.

Raccoons also love cat food, and will find just about any way they can to get into a pet food bin that’s outside. I ended up moving my cat food bin inside after fighting a losing battle to keep the raccoons out of it.

1 Like

We have one or two families in our neighborhood that use the raccoon superhighway (storm drains) and they appear to peacefully coexist with the cat population. I don’t see them all the time, just every few months or so. They love our across-the-street neighbor’s backyard and dry cat food.

1 Like

Seven miles away from here is much longer than than it would be in a place less mountainous. I don’t think we have had any repeat offenders, but I could not be completely sure. As a bit of trivia, my kids always named the raccoons we had to deal with, from the time they started coming around until they get released on the far end of the property. They always named the raccoons “Mr. Filthy” . I do have imaginative and smart kids, but the animal names are odd. The house cat is “Mrs. Cat”, the barn cats are “Barn Cat #5” or the like, except for “Mrs. Bitey”, who patrols outside and under the main house. At least the dogs get normal names.

2 Likes

That’s funny. I have a friend who gave his pets flowery names, like “Audacious” for his orange tabby cat, and “Chaos” for his black lab. Chaos always did act a bit chaotic, always digging her way out of the yard and running off, and Audacious turned out to be, well, audacious, often going along when my friend took his dogs on their nightly walks.

I can always tell when the raccoons have been around, because they wash themselves off in the outdoor cats’ water. Guess they don’t really like to be filthy.

1 Like

I think the constant hand washing was what inspired the name “Mr. Filthy”.

1 Like

Our house cat was just “Ma Cat” – most of the barn cats had names, although one was just known as “Benjamin’s Brother” (even though he wasn’t actually Benji’s brother).

1 Like

Yeah, but, you know…

it’s the amperage that’ll kill ya.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.