Racist, violent Colorado gang that engages in a "consistent pattern of illegal behavior" turns out to be the police department

Originally published at: Racist, violent Colorado gang that engages in a "consistent pattern of illegal behavior" turns out to be the police department | Boing Boing

14 Likes

The largest well armed most violent gang in the USA, the fucking Police. What’ya know about that…

ACAB

34 Likes

Well that answers the conundrum of claims of cops quitting in droves but the overall numbers remaining relatively flat.

8 Likes

22 Likes

Obviously. It’s clearly the black men who are shooting up the movie theaters or high schools in that area. Oh wait…

In case somebody would like to know about a specific incident involving the Aurora police:

23 Likes

“misplaced understanding” of de-escalation

GIMME A FUCKIN’ BREAK!!

20 Likes

Elijah McClain’s last words are heartbreaking. I used to live 15 minutes away from where he was murdered. The officers and paramedics have finally been charged.

37 Likes

I am shocked. I’m shocked the numbers weren’t worse. I’m guessing there was some under-reporting involved.

Yeah, that is the absolutely weirdest fucking way to describe the cops simply not giving a shit about de-escalation, and in fact frequently wanting to escalate things.

13 Likes

Blah, blah, blah.
So, just WTF are they going to do about it?

Pretty sure this is SOP everywhere, so, again:
WTF is going to be done about it?
This shit cannot continue.

9 Likes

The first time I heard his last words was during a recitation by a young woman at one of last year’s rallies. It was astonishingly impactful. Sometimes it is just so far over any reasonable line that you lose a little faith in humanity. I’m running on empty at the moment.

Also spotted at the same rally:

Blue Lines = Gang Signs

Couldn’t have said it better, myself.

17 Likes

Good question. Who controls the police force? Local government? Do they hire/fire the person in charge of the department? Leadership change would be the first step.

3 Likes

The usual response is investigate the problem, make a few changes to the rules/policy, and throw money at training programs (guess who owns/runs those programs). Bonus points if they fire or transfer a few scapegoats.

This continues until we succeed with efforts to defund, restructure/reallocate resources, and enable oversight committees/boards with teeth.

6 Likes

The solution to the problem of the police is obvious and simple.

It’s just the white majority is happy with their modified runaway slave posse.

8 Likes

From what I have seen with HPD over the decades [I live near Houston], the problem is less with Who Is In Charge, than it has to do with the internal culture of the department.
Sure, the Chief [or Mayor, etc] can make noises & maybe change policies, but the police unions are fearsome things & you also have to get the DA on board.
In any case, you can’t trust cops to investigate themselves.

My statement also spoke towards this shit happening everywhere, & that would [it seems to me] need to involve the DOJ; Congressional action is effectively on hold until the filibuster is killed.
Doubt that will happen before the FDC takes power again… it will be their first order of business.
ETA:

The ‘teeth’ part seems to be the hold-up in a lot of cases. They seem to want the appearence of Doing Things, rather than the substance.

8 Likes

I agree, but if anyone can institute a cultural change and fire the most egregious offenders, it is someone at the top. But it would be a monumental task if the rot is deep. :confused:

Absolutely.

4 Likes

‘If’ the rot is deep?
The whole friggin hull is infested with shipworms!

7 Likes

They did get charged? I thought they just quit and/or got fired.

Edit: They were charged.

6 Likes

Aurora has a new police chief as of August last year. She did this recently:

It gives me a little hope. (I am not an aurora resident)

8 Likes

You would think that cops in Colorado would have gotten more chill after weed was legalized.

2 Likes

More of ‘em should smoke ganja. AFAIK cops’ drugs of choice are primarily alcohol, speed, and steroids. Not at all mellow.

3 Likes