Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello's list of five favorite albums is not (entirely) what you might expect

Originally published at: Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello's list of five favorite albums is not (entirely) what you might expect | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Bobs Burgers Dancing GIF

8 Likes

That’s cool. I like Tom.

9 Likes

I hated EDM music. Really hated it. My impression of the genre was that shit they played in Italian taxi cabs. Unbearable. Then a friend turned me on to Knife Party and they blew my fucking mind. Rage Valley has all of the power, tension, explosiveness, and attitude of my favorite heavy metal music.

I am glad he found something he liked, but man, of that whole genre just skimming a few songs, I don’t hear anything especially unique…

If looking for something that “has all of the power, tension, explosiveness, and attitude of my favorite heavy metal music”, I can think of several other groups that I would say has more of all of that… some of them with actual guitars.

But, anyway, welcome to the club, Tom.

5 Likes

I relate and approve this message re: PG3

10 Likes

It’s just a flat-out masterpiece.

5 Likes

He’s especially good at eviscerating critics on Twitter who think he should stay away from politics.

30 Likes

Those are so good.

4 Likes

Another fan’s response was great too: “What ‘machine’ did you think they were raging against? The dishwasher??”

25 Likes

Nothing is surprising about this list.

1 Like
13 Likes

Clearly he didn’t interact with printers enough.

GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

10 Likes

I’m a big Tom Morello fan – RATM, Audioslave, and the Nightwatchman have all got a lot of spins and Street Sweeper Social Club a few. That being said, none of his 5 album choices are on my list. I’ll have to give them all a new listen.

3 Likes

I love PG3, an almost perfect album.
It’s just that “And Through the Wire” doesn’t fit in there. It’s too bright and in your face. I thought it would work better on vinyl, if it was the first song on side B. But it isn’t, it’s last on side A. What’s it even doing there? So jarring.

2 Likes

Random oddments: In December 1980, I was working the swing shift as an office clerk at a corporate law firm in SF. Was loose enough that I would stroll around listening to tapes on one of the earliest Sony Walkmen. Night in question, listening to PG3. Had just listened to ‘Family Snapshot’ when a co-worker told me that John Lennon had just been shot.

Talk about burned into my memory cells…

4 Likes

I think you mean there’s Nothing Shocking about it.

3 Likes

Wow, what a memory. I often wonder what it would have been like to be listening to momentous records in their proper chronological context.

Of course I’ve experienced it to some degree myself, but nothing in my lifetime has been as world changing as say a Sgt. Pepper, imo.

1 Like
10 Likes

at my age, I don’t have any “albums I can’t live without” anymore. but for most of my life, I did have them; Nothing’s Shocking might have been the first. I feel everything Morello wrote and more. “Up The Beach” remains one of the best introductory tracks of all time.

1 Like

Same.

Almost feel like Tom is slightly trolling the magazine and expectations, as he indicates with his social media wit. Good on Tom to flip the script tho.

My top 5 does include a Tom album, though it’s a toss up between Audioslave’s eponymous and RATM’s one

2 Likes