Raised semi truck container erupts in spectacular bridge strike

Or a mirror, so you can at least see the damn thing. One of those convex dots on the wing mirrors would do the trick …

1 Like

This caused the closure of the Burlington Skyway in Ontario, blocking a major trucking and commuter route, for four days in 2014.

1 Like

You forgot about Wild Rice a.k.a. Canada Rice.

(it wasn’t rice, but Canada does indeed produce a lot of rice)

2 Likes

I do believe the advertising on the truck was a misnomer.

7 Likes

I once rode a bike for fifteen kilometres before realising that one of the rear shock absorbers had fallen off.

1 Like

Mistakes were made.

2 Likes

Most trucks I’ve encountered have an irritating alarm that says, “BEEP BOOP thisssvehicleizrevoicing…”

I’d have expected that driving like the rig in the video would trigger something like “Ride of the Valkyries” or “Sabotage” dialed up to 11.

2 Likes

“What’s up with that boxcar on my tail? I’d better speed up. Don’t wanna ‘Duel’ sitch here.”

2 Likes

Wrong question. How the hell were they even able to start the engine if that thing could tilt like this?

I mean, even a pinball machine has a method of detecting such a thing.

4 Likes

The Smart truck (blue cab) was just collateral damage. Its driver sustained minor injuries. :astonished:

1 Like

Or this.

2 Likes

Holy Mother Hubbard!

1 Like

Well, it’s basically a dump truck. And sometimes you need them to dump on the move; unless you dump whatever you are dumping into a silo or down a slope you wouldn’t be able to dump the whole load in one place.
So it’s okay that the truck can move and dump, but as far as I know this is usually restricted to slow speeds / lowest gear.

Anyway, here is a picture of a dump truck that was dumping earth while moving very slow. Unfortunately, the driver didn’t notice that with the skip raised the truck moved within the vehicle clearance envelope of the suspension railway. So when the next train came along it promptly knocked the dump truck over.

4 Likes

There’s always a chance he was rushing back to work to hand over his resignation papers.

Via discussion on Reddit, it’s very likely that something in the hydraulic system blew and raised the bed without the driver realizing, just a minute before this video. The trailer is full, and you can’t fill a raised trailer, so it must have been raised after filling–he didn’t dump a load and then absent-mindedly forget to lower it. Also, reportedly, there’s another bridge a couple miles previous to this one which the driver must have passed under safely to get here.

5 Likes

I’d like to conduct an experiment.

Use your dominant hand to hold something in front of you and use your non-dominant hand to grab your cell phone. Now, using only your non-dominant hand unlock the phone, open the camera, and take a video of something. Make sure you have a solid grip on the device itself so you don’t drop it, a clear view of the screen to make sure you’re keeping the object of your video in frame, and can press the on-screen record button without dropping your device or losing focus on what you’re trying to record.

Advanced level: Do all of this while maintaining control of a vehicle or running toward / away from the thing you’re trying to record.

Seriously though, those pop-tab spinner things that stick to the back of the phone are the biggest innovation in phone ergonomics in years. Making those standard will go a long way to getting people to use the proper appropriate aspect ratio when recording video.

2 Likes

What now?

1 Like

iSpinners ? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

These things

Sometimes they spin so you can rotate the phone without shifting your grip, but most often they’re a solid piece.

1 Like