Ralph Peters calls President Obama a "total pussy" on TV

Actually, in my neck of the British woods, we’d probably use “pussycat” for that sense.

No, that’s an honorific.

3 Likes

Am I missing the joke? (Turkeys CAN fly.)

1 Like

Who?

1 Like

Funny thing is, in looking recently at Trump’s platform, I was shocked to find myself agreeing with one of his core beliefs: that our healthcare system for veterans is woefully lacking and needs to be revamped to give them efficient, quality care. Just because 99% of his other platform planks hinge on bigotry, hatred, and racism doesn’t mean that I can’t find some common ground.

In truth, the reality of politics in 2015 is that partisan crap has very little to do with agreement or disagreement; it’s solely about brinksmanship. When the Republicans in Congress agree, as a party, to block and disagree with absolutely everything Obama and the Democrats propose, no matter what, that’s just petty.

1 Like

cf. WKRP in Cincinatti, Thanksgiving episode in which Les Nessman (who somewhat resembles the disgraced titular colonel) dropped turkeys from a helicopter as a give-away for thanksgiving.

4 Likes

Ah, thanks! I have a lot of holes in my popular culture knowledge.

They’re just mad that he’s done a better job at being a Republican than Republicans have managed to be for at least 10 years.

3 Likes

Trump can spit out a few words on it, but Sanders has written legislation for it.
Guess how that went?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-veterans-congress-idUSBREA1Q26O20140227

With Democrats pressing for passage this week, Senate Republicans, backed by their leader, Mitch McConnell, attempted to attach controversial legislation calling for possible new sanctions on Iran that President Barack Obama opposes.

“The issue of Iran sanctions … has nothing to do with the needs of veterans,” complained Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Bernard Sanders of Vermont, the main sponsor of the bill.

1 Like

well, a woman of your advanced years can’t be expected to remember every little thing. Do you know who Nicki Minaj is?

1 Like

Whhhaaat?

Must fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

1 Like

And while in office the antiwar movement basically died, so he even did better on that front.

I think the political circus is all for show, though. The policies are by and large going to be agonizingly consistent no matter who’s in office.

1 Like

In his RS interview a while back…

He’s called for immediate tax hikes on hedge-fund profits; tax hikes for the ultrawealthy like himself to pay for sweeping cuts for the middle class; vast spending increases on health care in general and for veterans and women in particular; huge capital investments in the country’s infrastructure, beginning with roads and bridges.

Those are all nice big gestures, but combined with his budget plan, it’s all vapor. Economists estimate that his plan would reduce federal tax income by $10-12 trillion over the course of ten years, so paying for any tiny part of the many extremely expensive things he’s proposing would be impossible.

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t believe a word of it. I just find it funny that he’s actually proposing a lot of things that are total anathema to the party whose nomination he’s ostensibly pursuing, on top of all the crazy racist fascist stuff.

And terrifying that a sizable proportion of people would vote for him on the strength of getting that nomination.

1 Like

It’s totally fascinating, I agree. Even fellow GOP who seem to tacitly or privately agree with his wackjob racist/fascist stuff are simultaneously horrified by all of his populist liberal-esque promises. On paper, Trump should be equally loathed by everyone. But somehow, his craziness is charming (to some).

1 Like

As someone who possesses an actual pussy, I must object to someone who does not possess a pussy using pussy as an insult in regards to another person who also does not possess a pussy.

14 Likes

Looking for the appeal of Trump on paper is never going to get you there. This is the kind of stuff psychologists live for. Why would anyone support Trump? I certainly don’t know, but I live in a quite “progressive” city that elected Rob Ford, in addition to being an alcoholic and a crack-user is a terrible racist and doesn’t know a thing about money. In addition to the outright racists who support Trump because of racism and the people who support Trump because of his celebrity status, I think there are a lot of people who support train-wreck candidates because it means they will get to feel like they are the lone voice of reason in a world full of crazies. They are the only ones who see how great Trump is.

7 Likes

I feel like he appeals to two kinds of people: former high school bullies, who in Trump see the sort of chest-thumping bravado they used to get their way in 11th grade, and the spineless toadies who followed high school bullies around. Trump is like the high school Homecoming King / Quarterback who goes around saying “Hey, baby, look how cool I am. I’m rich, I’m strong, and everyone else is a stupid wimp.” The kind of people charmed by that come-on line will follow Trump anywhere.

The original slant in the insult ‘pussy’ was to mean someone was timid, weak and ineffectual, a pussycat. It had nothing to do with genitalia.

2 Likes