Ralph Peters calls President Obama a "total pussy" on TV

Russian has an amazing, deep, and beautiful tapestry of vulgarity that inventively invokes and combines all manner of vulgar, scatalogical, and sexual themes. One expression I remember off the top of my head from a dictionary of Russian vulgar slang a colleague of mine in Moscow had once translated roughly into “a whore with urethras for eyes.”

6 Likes

Slovak, Czech, Finnish, I think also Polish.

The only languages I am aware of that don’t have this are C, Javascript, Pascal, Java, and their ilk. And I am not 100% sure even there.

14 Likes

Funnily enough, I’ve been wracking my brain all day to try and come up with vulgar body-part insults in Japanese. Then I decided to go looking and I can’t really find any.

At most-gendered you get stuff like “slut” or “hag”, but no references to penises or vaginas or breasts.

There are however a lot of ways to be intentionally impolite when you’re speaking to someone. For instance using the wrong form for pronouns can be rude, as well as not observing proper honorifics, or adding certain suffixes can make the meaning of a noun explicitly insulting or disrespectful.

I may just not be looking in the right place though. Online resources that are actually readable tend not to capture vernacular particularly well, and the fact is, since I don’t read Japanese, I’m limited to just what people are willing to teach.

6 Likes

Someone once called me a double pointer. I assumed it wasn’t a compliment.

4 Likes

It’s the Trump effect. All of the sudden, the pissy little twerps who’ve ruled the rightwing media for the past 2 decades are ‘allowed’ to talk this way. Big Daddy Donny has given them the O.K.

Their inherent weakness shines through so brightly when they use ‘strong language’ on screen. And their age. I always hear 70s hits in the background when they chin-quiver their way through speeches like this.

3 Likes

Update: He and former “Clueless” star Stacy Dash have been suspended for two weeks.

1 Like

Stacey Dash, the actress best known for playing >Dionne in the 1995 movie Clueless, said after >watching the president’s speech on terrorism…

daaaamn now those are some bonafides!

2 Likes

3 Likes

There is nothing the Ds can do that would satisfy the Rs, and vice versa. Nothing. Part of the system is when you get elected, you stop thinking and do what the party wants you to do. And what the party wants you to do is oppose anything the other party wants.

You can take something that neither party nor any candidate would have a stance on (like should we do away with the penny, or permanently retire the $1 bill) and it’ll mysteriously end up being the Rs vs the Ds – because god forbid they agree on a goddamn thing.

3 Likes

Interestingly, one of the things George W. got right was the rhetoric on Muslims.

Al Qaeda wanted to incite a racist war against Muslims. There were leaked memos to that effect.

Trump’s rhetoric in no small way is making us less safe.

6 Likes

…also,

9 Likes

He was also one of the most reasonable people in his party on immigration. He toed the party line when he had to, but he sure wasn’t pushing to deport millions of undocumented immigrants or bar an entire religion from entering the country.

Damn, it’s weird to think of that guy as a voice of reason. Sign of the times I guess.

8 Likes

Russian Dressing!!!

3 Likes

Don’t you get it?!?

Obama’s presidency is such a trainwreck that he’s even ruined the past!

2 Likes

If that were true… Wouldn’t that make him the most powerful weapon in the world? I’m imagining a whole animated Youtube series now. The adventures of Causally-Disconnected Man and his Presidency of Power!

3 Likes

No commercial or personal affiliation here. Just admiration :slight_smile:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dgml.swearport

7 Likes

As far as I’m concerned Java is in its very nature unconscionably obscene.

8 Likes

Very worthwhile.

Not bad for a “pussy”. /s

“Oh Michael, you’re such a p***y.”
Michael was stunned. He assumed Rita was using the word p***y in the American sense, meaning weak or cowardly. In fact, Rita meant it in the British sense, meaning sweet or gentle, as in “pussycat.”

6 Likes