Rare giant bird kills Florida man

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/15/rare-giant-bird-kills-florida.html

7 Likes

At least, I suppose, we won’t be hearing any more about him.

7 Likes

My only run-in with a cassowary was in Farcry 3.

They take a surprisingly large number of bullets to take down. They will fuck you up.

7 Likes

Do not fuck with the cassowary…

or just about any other Australian animal.

31 Likes

@pesco the link to the main site is a 404 and add in @orenwolf who will probably see where things are b0rk3d faster.

ETA: the 404 page is a good one. I don’t know why I never noticed option 3 before.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, you have to be careful with these birds. Especially when they’ve been drinking.

13 Likes

Too soon…?

Raptor_-_Clever_Girl

26 Likes

What%20the%20fuckity%20fuck

7 Likes

Wait for it… :wink:

4 Likes

Ahh scheduling gremlins then?

2 Likes

I was unable to find anything directly pertaining to cassowary warfare; but some of their colleagues are apparently embarrassingly good even against professionals.

5 Likes

The cassowary is the one dinosaur that refused to give an inch when all the lesser species were either going extinct or evolving into parakeets.

26 Likes

Shrikes deserve some credit. They failed the “don’t evolve into basically a parakeet” test; but didn’t let that interfere with indulging in as much bloodlust as scale allows.

7 Likes

I’m getting a 404 when I click the link to the boing boing.net summary of the article did the bird yank it down so I can’t spot it coming? :thinking:

(Tagging @orenwolf, apologies if you’re not the correct ping)

1 Like

I didn’t see the linked article but I got the gist of it elsewhere. I find it amusing that so many news outlets refer to the cassowary as an “emu-like bird.” That’s kind of like describing a direwolf as a “beagle-like mammal.”

17 Likes

I was just about to say the same. Ha!

8 Likes

12 Likes

As mentioned above, I’d not mess with an emu either.

2 Likes

Is anyone else weirded out by, or getting similarly weird, suggested search terms?

When I interacted with the search box on the 404 page the below was the first suggested term:

It…doesn’t strike me as a record of what actual humans have actually searched for; but either some sort of system state spew or the incoherent ravings of a silicon valley demonologist.

Whoa. That’s crazy. Unless that weird world jumble is actually a common error message in some application. I’ve sometimes had a weird error message and when going to search if someone else had the same, I only had to type a bit of it for the rest to auto-fill… I guess because someone else had copies and pastes the same error into google at some point… although it’s more fun to imagine more nefarious scenarios. Did anyone ever find an actual meaning for those “yankee hotel foxtrot” type radio transmissions? I’m off to google now. Edit: good stuff: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station