Rare tropical storm warning: Hurricane Hilary threatens California

Originally published at: Rare tropical storm warning: Hurricane Hilary threatens California | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The Chinese hoax continues to deliver beyond expectations.

12 Likes

7 Likes

I have to go do my normal Costco run today after work.
I wonder if people are going to be stocking up on TP and cases of bottled water.
In all seriousness, there could be places hit quite hard. Including our very populous neighbor over the border, Tijuana.

2 Likes

So climate-wise California could be on track to become the next Florida, and Florida could be on track to become the next… Venus, I guess?

6 Likes

Obligatory local history reference re: our worst flood:

7 Likes

nice, my son has a soccer tournament in Oceanside this weekend. Guess we’ll be bringing umbrellas, as one does in late August in Socal

2 Likes

So the storm is tapering off now, and while there’s some localized flooding in a few specific locations (as tends to be the case with any heavy rain) the impact seems to be much less than what was feared. Disneyland didn’t even need to close early for the day yesterday. There were no high winds to speak of in my area near Pasadena, and I only saw moderate rainfall. Very few major road closures anywhere in the LA area and my commute to work was smooth.

Just wanted to share that perspective for those not in the area because the news networks always dial up coverage to the max, seeking out the most dramatic footage possible, and it can be hard to get a real sense of what things are like on the ground just based on that.

(Also, the Los Angeles Unified School District is starting to get some flak for choosing to close all the schools today, when most of the surrounding districts are staying open.)

Edit to add: here’s the latest forecast for today’s weather in Los Angeles. And there wasn’t much rain earlier in the day either.

6 Likes

Yeah where we are it was a big nothingburger, just a decent amount of rain and slightly windier than usual. Everyone I’ve ever known is emailing/texting “OMG ARE YOU OK”.

5 Likes

“And OMG an earthquake too?! How is anyone in California still alive??”

(It wasn’t near Disneyland, caused no reported damage even near the epicenter, and most people I know didn’t even feel it.)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.