Reactions! ❤ 👍 😆 😮 🤔 🤗 👏 🎊 🤬 😭

one click to see them all
one click to find them
one click to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them

9 Likes

Now that we have multiple reactions instead of just the heart, could the default “heart click” result in something like a :black_circle: plain circle response? I hope (and I’m pretty confident) that one of the reactions on this post doesn’t reflect the responder’s views:

2 Likes

@orenwolf @codinghorror (Apologies if this has been brought up before):

Is it possible that the code change that allowed the new reactions also made it easier to accidentally trigger Liking a post while scrolling?

I find that if I’m scrolling through posts and my finger lands on a heart to start a drag, I end up accidentally liking a post. This happens frequently now, and I swear it didn’t use to happen.

I can reproduce it easily by initiating a drag action on a heart. If I do it quick enough that the reactions dialog doesn’t appear (which is still not super-quick, it’s clearly a drag) then I accidentally like the post. If the dialog appears, then the post does not get liked.

Possibly the timer that determines if the dialog should appear is swallowing the fact that it’s a drag action?

Would it be possible to disambiguate drag action from tap actions on mobile?

6 Likes

That’s possibly a question better posted on meta:

While we are lucky enough to have the Discourse developers here pretty often, their answers here are opportunistic vs over there where you’ll probably get a more immediate answer to your question.

(That goes for all questions regarding Discourse code, versus the stuff the admins can control.)

7 Likes

Just FTR: happens to me, too. I try to like something and nearly always hit the link link.

ETA: someone already mentioned this in the topic orenwolf linked to, but judging from a reply there, this does not happen to everyone.

Quick poll:

• Meee toooo! I’m linking, not liking!
  • What the fudge are you talking about?

0 voters

2 Likes

On desktop I have the frustration that I go to do a simple click on the heart for a default “like”, then prior to click,ing the mouseover triggers the popup to appear, obscuring the heart and preventing the click. Most of the time I can’t do anything about it. Worse, once the popup appears it’s very difficult to clear it without clicking. And sometimes it’s just right that I accidentally click on the “hmm” emoji instead. This is much annoy.

2 Likes

Invisible Likes—a new frontier in forum drama :thinking:

6 Likes

Ah, I forgot dark mode, that’s funny. But the sentiment is the important part - now that there are a range of responses, “heart” doesn’t scan as neutral anymore

3 Likes

:no_mouth: :expressionless: :dotted_line_face:

2 Likes

i hearby nominate the mysterious [obj]

where have you gone old friend? your time is neigh

8 Likes

Where’s the horse emoji when you need it?

8 Likes

bill nye drugs GIF

7 Likes

All opposed say nay. :racehorse:

7 Likes

It is nigh on impossible to find one of those.

5 Likes

And we don’t even seem to have a generic goose emoji here, much less the endangered Hawaiian nene.

(And, as far as I can see, no crossword puzzle emoji here, either—the other place where the nene is often found.)

3 Likes

I would have liked to have seen a puke emoji or a meh emoji.

But, after having read what @orenwolf wrote upstream, I see that they can be construed as negative, even when not meant that way.

Tricky devils, emojis…

5 Likes

I know, sometimes I feel like announcing “I’m old, I’m not being ironic when I use emojis!”

4 Likes

We need a devil emoji.

4 Likes

:imp::smiling_imp: :japanese_ogre:

5 Likes

How about the puking emoji? :face_vomiting: For when neither angry cursing nor crying quite cover it.

4 Likes