Real-life scientists prove that Thanos's snap couldn't have happened

Originally published at: Real-life scientists prove that Thanos's snap couldn't have happened | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Analyzed the properties of Uru metal, they have?

14 Likes

Look, it doesn’t come up that often in the comics but the primary magical ability granted by the Power Stone is that the wielder can keep the rhythm no matter what kind of gloves they are wearing.

What I want to know is how Doctor Doom can play the aquabugle while wearing a metal mask that covers his lips.

32 Likes

That point is kinda moot when you have objects that can distort space and time.

23 Likes

Of course, these “scientists” ignored the fact that he is an eight-foot-tall purple space alien.

12 Likes

Thank doG. I was worried that some Thanos wannabe might collect all of the Infinity Stones.

5 Likes

Electric cars still make vroom noises if you want… I’m sure implementing that isn’t beyond a guy with a fleet of spaceships.

5 Likes

I mean, I just read an old Thor comic the other day that explained a weapon as “an unstoppable mixture of Asgardian science and magic!” so, you know… but I’m still glad they did this

4 Likes

It can kill half the people in the universe but it can’t make a snapping noise? Wait, is this a Microsoft product?

26 Likes

-Pinches bridge of nose-

He has the Infinity Gauntlet which can change reality at will. Thus one could will it to produce a -snap- sound.

This is the Cult of Snap.

6 Likes

Very reassuring.

3 Likes

I’d say there is an even more serious problem with the “finger snap.” I’ve become inured to it by having seen it a couple of times and knowing how the story plays out, but really, when they first mention that Thanos could wipe out half of all living things “with a snap of his fingers,” I kinda took that rhetorically, and it didn’t occur to me that an actual snapping of the fingers would be involved, because that’s, you know, a figure of speech?

It strikes me as pretty weak to literalize that to the point that it became the triggering mechanism for using the stones, sort of like if someone said he could wipe everybody out “in the blink of an eye,” and they all fought desperately in the final battle to keep his eyes open. It’s like, an expression, man.

That’s just bad writing.

14 Likes

Comically so :wink:

10 Likes

If only Thanos had two gloves made, he could have clapped.

9 Likes

oblig-a-simpsons…

13 Likes

Read title: This is going to be the stupidest thing I’ve read all week.
Read article: It was stupid in a completely different way than I expected.

A++

22 Likes

All right, then, I should cross Infinity War off my list of hard science fiction movies. Just as soon as I can find it on the list.

10 Likes

“It strikes me as pretty weak to literalize that to the point that it became the triggering mechanism for using the stones, sort of like if someone said he could wipe everybody out “in the blink of an eye,” and they all fought desperately in the final battle to keep his eyes open. It’s like, an expression, man.”

Is it the triggering method for the stones or is it his own model of the moment? Having all the stones makes you all powerful, so, i imagine you could do things how you like. Perhaps it shows his hubris, sticking with the boast “with a snap of my fingers” to the point it was a tragic flaw.

2 Likes

“That Thanos really gets around. He gave the clap to half the galaxy!”

8 Likes

giphy

2 Likes