Rebecca Solnit's open letter to Trump: You should really visit New York some time

I can think of one case and it was prosecuted. It might happen here at times, but it’s not a) going to be made into the law of the land for all of us (which is what the people who talk about it really fear) and b) going to be allowed to happen if it’s discovered, because these sorts of practices run afoul of the law. It’s just not a problem we need to worry about that much. It’s just a way to stoke racist/Islamophobic fears.

[ETA] Some southern protestants still use language like “papists” and they only seem to like catholics when it comes to their shared views on abortion… otherwise, nah.

5 Likes

Rebecca Solnit’s open letter to Trump: You should really visit New York some time

What does Rebecca Solnit have against New York?

7 Likes

In a world of imitators, they were originals.

1 Like

Conservatives speak out of both sides of the mouth, I remember the anger that America was attacked -and ball grabbing patriotism but also the snide comments about New Yorkers.

Just as today they snark about Islam and gays and vote for people who endorse persons overseas who literally want to murder gays and enact such laws, but those are good African Christians.

2 Likes

Is The Atlantic sufficiently non-rightist enough for you?

tl;dr version

Eric Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, gets it. “I don’t see,” he told me this week, “how anyone who believes in the rule of law and the rights of women could do anything other than support efforts to end female-genital mutilation, forced marriage and honor-killings—practices that have no place in the 21st century.”These things do happen. Two teenage sisters are shot, point blank, in the back of their father’s taxi, apparently for the shame they brought the family by having boyfriends. A young woman is run down and left to die in a parking lot by her father for refusing a forced marriage.

A woman lives in fear that every time she goes to work, her family may decide to cut her young daughter’s clitoris or sew up her labia to ensure her virginity before marriage. But what most Americans just don’t get is that such horrors happen here in the United States of America—and not just in faraway countries like Afghanistan or Somalia.

Honor killings happen by Americans, Good Christian Americans.

My wife had a one night stand with a guy who proceeded to stalk her with a rifle while she cowered because she had the audacity to not want to date him again.

Fuck you for claiming that man on woman violence is an issue with Arab immigrants. Fuck your indiscriminate hate.

Entitlement and misogynistic control is cultural and “we” Westerners are just as are diseased. You want to blame anyone but men, but that’s the MRA/pseudoskeptic community for you.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.