Recently sunken Russian warship may have been carrying a piece of the cross that Jesus died on

The Easter story always bothered me.
Crucified on Friday, check.
Died and was buried, check.
Was resurrected 3 days later on Sunday morning, wait, what?
I guess the basket of candy kept me quiet

8 Likes

The romans were a bloodthirsty lot.

8 Likes

if memory serves that’s why they used nails: it was to make it quicker. mostly people lasted a long time lashed up there. ( the thieves in the story where there before and after )

probably didn’t come in bottles though

2 Likes

These are not historical re-enactors, they are religious pilgrims. The point isn’t to be historically accurate, but to celebrate their shared communal understanding of their faith.

5 Likes

That timeline was created to fit in the allotted time of a weekend. Jesus himself said he would be in the tomb for 3 days and 3 nights. Which would mean he rose from the dead on the fourth day but the church couldn’t shut down the banks and shopping malls for that long so they shortened it.

I don’t think Christians or Catholics really ever read the Bible or they did but then they reworked it to fit with whatever their agenda was or is.

3 Likes

Even if you can lock down the tree to a species native to that region, and from ~2000 years ago, you can’t tell if it was from a cross, the cross, a house, the handle of a hammer, etc.

For a lot of relics, the official position is they neither confirm or deny something is authentic. So worst case, The Shroud of Turin is just another icon.

4 Likes

My daughter has been instructed to play that song at my funeral it’s one of my requests that if she doesn’t do it I will haunt her.

It won’t be Graham Chapman level awesomeness but it will make my family squirm.

15 Likes

I’m not going to put much stock in тасс, but their article on the relic’s installation includes this gratuitous swipe at the decadent West.

This relic used to belong to a Catholic church, but was acquired by anonymous patrons of arts, and it was their will to send the relic to the [Black Sea] fleet. The Moskva cruiser has an onboard chapel, where services take place," Khalyuta said.

He underscored that such relics are very rare and important for all Christians — both the Catholics and the Orthodox. Russia is in possession of several items with pieces of the True Cross embedded into them; usually, they can be found in large temples. Purchasing such relics has become possible after European churches began to close and sell their property.

Good riddance to old superstition.

7 Likes

You might want to rethink that bit right there and stop accusing the faithful of LARPing.

4 Likes

Don’t we all as we get older.

8 Likes

Whatever are you referring to? /s

3 Likes

Given the time that has passed and what we know of the carbon cycle, if there ever was a cross of Jesus then its likely that every living thing has some carbon atoms from the true cross in it.

My god, they’re INSIDE ME!!!

16 Likes

Jesus Reaction GIF

14 Likes

Now it’s diluted in an ocean. Homeo-logically, no boats should ever sink again.

8 Likes
7 Likes

16 Likes

Nonsense but sure to rile up the conspiracy minded q-nuts.

2 Likes

Clearly, Jesus didn’t save this time.

4 Likes

“shared communal understanding”. Interesting the ones I see toting crosses around don’t ever appear to be part of a any community or have shared understandings with any particular community. They often are calling everyone else heretics or false followers. One of them around these parts actually claims he is literally the second coming of Jesus.

2 Likes

Wait till you see how many Jesus foreskins there are! It explains his nickname, “old octodick,” though. (And then we get into all the saints with all those heads and limbs… so, so many heads and limbs.)

Yeah, but that just makes it the same as every year. (I don’t think any of them can agree on his birth/death dates anyways, so…)

The home PR value of effectively turning a warship into a church was huge, though. And hey, it’s not like Ukraine have a navy - what were they going to take down the flagship of the Russian navy with? Um, besides the missile they used… oops.

The 13th century is very “in” these days.

6 Likes