Recursive Recipes lets you drill down into recipes for each individual ingredient

Originally published at: Recursive Recipes lets you drill down into recipes for each individual ingredient | Boing Boing

7 Likes

5 Likes

It doesn’t let you go back to the big bang and make everything from hydrogen. Or even stars.

7 Likes

This should probably be part of an early curriculum.

5 Likes

How much room do I even need for that? I don’t think my kitchen is big enough.

9 Likes

I am not sanguine about allowing directed acyclic graphs into my kitchen.

5 Likes

Then you’re probably in need of a dimensionally transcendental kitchen remodel

8 Likes

Honestly, I’d just like some good scales and a roasting tin, but if you’re sure, OK.

8 Likes

So you’re saying Doctor Who really should have been a cooking programme.

6 Likes

Egad! Bisquik is NOT for real pancakes. Try Krusteaz some time if you can’t follow a simple recipe.

1 Like

Fishfingers and custard?
Perhaps not, eh?

1 Like

My brother once brought a home-baked loaf of bread to a family gathering. After some prying (he’s a quiet guy), he said that he had made it from flour that he ground from wheat that he had grown in his back yard. That loaf was the yield from his tiny crop. It was yummy.

7 Likes

Reminds me of when I bought the Greens restaurant cookbook, and the disappointment of realizing that all the recipes were recursive. Main recipe includes sauces. Those sauce recipes include other multi-step preparations. The simplest dish has at least three levels, dozens of ingredients, and zero chance of preparing it in less than a day. It sure did sell me on the value of eating in their restaurant.

1 Like

People have some odd ideas about restaurant cooking, especially the very high end stuff. Maybe they watch too much food TV. Even a moderately complicated menu will have items that have layers and layers of prep. For example, in one recipe from Charlie Trotter you use some yellow pepper juice. In the restaurant this means saving all of the off cuts from the peppers used in anything and one guy runs them through the juicer whenever the container is full or they run out of juice. At home this means buying the peppers just to juice them. Every time I look at pictures of some plates I’m very aware of just how many hands had to touch the food to make it look like that.

5 Likes

That image in the OP is really bothering me. Why is there soil, water, and chicken feed going into an egg? Why is there soil going into a chicken?

But nothing goes into a hollandaise; god makes it just as it is

In my experience hollandaise is full of witchcraft. You have to hit that perfect blend of temperature and liquid to yolk ratio that you have a nice smooth texture because in 15 seconds it’s going to start separating. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been known to make really good eggs benedict. I’ve also tossed a batch or two of hollandaise when it was too far gone.

1 Like

I don’t think I understood the UX of the site, and I see a parking thing for sci-ence.org now, so…what? Not helping me pick a vegan …tagliatelle… no, a cheese starting with t with a rind. taleggio. Which I would get (without the vegan progression) by going to the Taleggio Valley and making one soil, please… Or maybe StKilliansCheeseShop.com which is reabilitated (by unicheese.cellular good girls) c.f. Denver. (Also available $13 a pound 5lb. at a time on Amazon, plus the madness fee for Cory Doctorow to tell me what’s eating what on Medium.) SubstituteCooking.com is a thing…

At least you don’t have to make your own soil from rocks.

3 Likes

Some sand for the gizzard?

“The gizzard is aided by gritty, sand-like particles the chickens ingest as they peck that help to grind the food so that it may pass to the small intestine, where nutrients are absorbed.”

1 Like

There was a time I thought of making some quick cookies according to a recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook, but it called for use of mashed potatoes.

No cookies were made that day.

3 Likes