With today's not-always-available groceries, here's a recipe generator that works with what you've got

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/with-todays-not-always-avail.html

1 Like

Perhaps not ready for prime time?

I told it all I had was chocolate, chicken broth, and mushrooms, and it tells me I have all the ingredients I need to make Healthy Chocolate Birthday Cake and Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken, among others.

7 Likes

Sounds like they should be selling this in the boing boing store!

5 Likes

What recipe can someone make with 100 rolls of toilet paper? Asking for a friend.

6 Likes

This reminds me of chef Lynn Rosetto Kasper’s game on her show The Splendid Table where she would ask a caller to name 3 leftover items in their fridge and then she would conjure up a recipe using just those items (plus the most basic staples like salt/pepper/water)

8 Likes

That’s what I thought of too! I loved that part of the show. I love doing it at home when planning creative “pantry meals.”

But this site is NOTHING like that. Say you put in that you have butter, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, leeks, and…chocolate. It comes up with over 100,000 recipes saying: You have all the ingredients! This recipe uses your…Brussels sprouts and butter. It’s not working to help you use the most of your ingredients. Doesn’t seem that much more helpful than just typing in “Brussels sprouts recipes” into a search engine.
Overall rating: meh

5 Likes

You can’t eat it, but:

1 Like

Do you also have pasta?

4 Likes

Nope. Used it all for wiping my butt.

2 Likes

If you can’t…
Cook with what you need…
Then cook with what you have!
Yeah.
Cook with what you have!

3 Likes

No one has pasta. Except the hoarders.

3 Likes

They are also the ones with toilet paper, so it’s all good.
(The link, for non-german readers, was to an article with recipes for pasta and toilet paper, since people seem to have bought mass quantities of both.)

2 Likes

People put oranges in the fridge?

People don’t?

Here in Australia if you don’t put fruit in the fridge then it’s not good for very long.

2 Likes

I’m in the States and I often put oranges in the fridge. It’s my favorite fruit. I find not only does it keep them fresh longer, but they seem juicier for some reason.

3 Likes

I will have to try this, especially in these pandemic times when I want to buy fresh produce in bigger batches and have them last as long as possible. Not hoarding mind you! :wink:

1 Like

https://myfridgefood.com/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.