#RedForEd rebooted: Chicago's teachers are back on strike

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/solidarity-forever-and-ever.html

4 Likes

Oof, Mayor Lightfoot is disappointing as hell on this. Bad faith from her office, and more of the same Emanuel/Daley bullshit putting the problems of city government on the teachers.

2 Likes

$2.4 Billion in public subsidies for the Lincoln Yard and The 78 developments, but school nurses, finding housing for 20,000 homeless students, school psychologists, school librarians, and maximum class sizes are out of the question. Sure, Lightfoot.

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss.

6 Likes

The neoliberal response: “Well I say we eat the seed corn! I still have room after the all-you-can-eat steak and lobster buffet!”

3 Likes

It’s always interesting to explain TIFs to people outside Chicago, because the response is invariably “oh, it’s a slush fund? How is that legal?”

2 Likes

Indeed! Chicago has the best government money can buy.

“I agree with the teacher’s demands, but there is no money to support them.” to paraphrase Lightfoot’s response.

There’s never money for education. Somehow there’s always money for tax breaks for corporations, though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.