Regional American Food paints vivid tapestry of nation's cuisine

Also, the ne-plus-ultra of chilli sides is a cheeseburger, or nachos, or if you don’t care about calories - both.

3 Likes

frybread?
damn. now i want a “Navajo taco”!

6 Likes

Can I get a Rochester garbage plate?

4 Likes

Absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, but I was in Lawrence two weeks ago.

18 Likes

So multi-colored! Such wow! :smile:

8 Likes

It makes it easier for my family to spot me in a crowd. (I say this a 1.93 m tall person with purple hair! :laughing: )

11 Likes

Lovely and hard to miss!

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I really do love the shoes and tights combo!

8 Likes

I’m originally from the MW and no one I knew ever combined cinnamon rolls and chili. This is some nonsense.

I mean CIncinnati chili not eccentric enough for you all?

1 Like

I’m originally from ohio. There’s cinnamon in the Skyline/Gold Star chili recipes… but this cinnamon roll stuff is nonsense. Never heard of it. Seems more like a Southern thing (like chicken and waffles). FWIW the Cincinnati Chili that seems to get so much hate has it origins in Greek cuisine. It’s good but it’s very distinct and different than what most folks will call chili (which is fine).

2 Likes

now! don’t you go puttin that on us!
also, ain’t nothin wrong with chicken and waffles with sides of grits and greens - gravy on errthing!

4 Likes

I’m parmesan to the version with cheese. :smile:

That sounds like it could be awesome. If I’m ever in Calgary, I’ll try it out.

Those are some cool pumps.

I have that problem, too; poor hand to mouth coordination.

7 Likes

A friend of mine at college had a t-shirt “Exotic Spices of Ohio” with a drawing of shakers containing Salt and Pepper

6 Likes

The pastrami eggrolls look delish.

^corned beef. Even better.

15 Likes

Looking good there! I hope that you enjoyed your visit to Lawrence. (Did you happen to stop by Liberty Hall and/or The Brewery while you were there? That picture looks like you were just a block away.)

I may have moved as far away from Kansas as possible after college, but I am still proud to come from a city like Lawrence.

4 Likes

Yes please!

2 Likes

My nesting partner and I were visiting family in Manhattan. We always take at least one visit to Lawrence. We didn’t go to The Brewery, but we did get to The Dusty Bookshelf, an antique mall / consignment shop, and (per my niece’s request), an escape room. I also took the opportunity to go for some coffee down while the rest poured over the antique mall, so I did walk right by Liberty Hall.

I was very amused how quickly I found my people in Lawrence. We were in The Dusty Bookshelf about five minutes before one of the clerks approached me and we ended up in a discussion about hair coloring options! (I noticed their pin. Enbys unite!

9 Likes

Seems like a trivial target for Impossible Foods’ work, vegan corned beef.

4 Likes

Well, it’s state vegetable is watermelon…but its official state meal is “BBQ pork, sausage with biscuits and gravy, chicken-fried steak, fried okra, squash, black-eyed peas, grits, corn, cornbread, pecan pie, and strawberries.” So there’s that.

3 Likes

That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve read today. And apparently they actually had to legislate the characterization of watermelon so as to allow it be considered the state ‘vegetable’ instead of the state ‘fruit’?

This is one of those one-is-masculine-and-therefore-strong-and-important and the-other-is-feminine-and-thus-not-to-be-taken-seriously situations, isn’t it?

5 Likes

watermelon is masculine?!

don draper faint GIF

2 Likes