Mystery Thanksgiving dinner side dish ignites twitter

2 Likes

Not sure what this is, but it’s midwestern for damn sure.

I’m guessing jello with cherries, coconut, marshmallows, yogurt, and pink food coloring.

9 Likes

It looks like fruit fluff but a little light on the fruit and heavy on the fluff.

2 Likes

I think that’s half of it. I personally thought it was rice pudding made with instant strawberry pudding with a bit of coconut in it.

3 Likes

I’m guessing cauliflower and cottage cheese, dressed with mayonnaise, sour cream, and cranberry juice.

1 Like

All I know is that in the Midwest they’d call it a “salad” and count it as the vegetable.

14 Likes

It looks like strawberry Angel Delight with something else in it.

4 Likes

In the Midwest, “salad” means gelatin based dessert. Actual vegetarian salad is hard to find.

1 Like
5 Likes

I genuinely can’t tell whether people in this thread are joking when they present guesses what it might be or they’re genuinely trying to guess. All of those things sound as if they could have genuinely been served in the American Midwest at some point or as if they’re over the top jokes about that.

2 Likes

It looks like fruit fluff three generations deep into people “improving” the recipe.

Is agar dangerously spicy?

1 Like

Midwestern spices are salt and… just salt.

3 Likes

Pepto au gratin.

Eat n’ treat.

5 Likes

peptatoes au dauphin

2 Likes

And Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, lots and lots of Lawry’s.

1 Like

I’m going with NPR’s Susan Stamberg’s mother’s (yes, the triple possessive!) famous cranberry relish.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.