Unpacking why 'pudding' means both dessert and sausage

Originally published at: Unpacking why 'pudding' means both dessert and sausage | Boing Boing

3 Likes

both a dessert and, in some places, sausage

And in many places a savoury (non-dessert) pudding too.

Steak and kidney pudding
Pease Pudding

So ‘pudding’ is almost exclusively used in connection with Jell-o in the US (says this guy).

You USians don’t have steak and kidney pudding? That would be a tragedy.

3 Likes

The proof is in the eating, though, isn’t it?

11 Likes

Well…the video was a bit confusing on that.

In the U.S., in my experience…

”Jell-O” is the brand. They make mixes for gelatin desserts (the wiggly, shiny, clear, see-through, fruit-flavored, brightly-colored stuff). “Jello” has become a generic term for gelatin desserts.

Jell-O brand also makes mixes for pudding desserts (starch-based, opaque, creamy, commonly chocolate or vanilla flavored). The only time “pudding” is used in connection with “Jell-O” is if you specifically mean Jell-O brand pudding.

If you used the term “Jell-O” instead of “pudding”, no one would know that you meant pudding.

I hope that helps.

17 Likes

Indeed - thanks.

But is ‘pudding’ used much when it has no association with Jell-O? His statement seemed to imply it was not - that pudding = Jell-O

I grew up in the 70s, and pudding (custard-style) was not exclusively a Jell-O product. Example:

9 Likes

I agree that he seemed to imply that pudding = Jell-O, and I think it was sloppy of him.

But, that’s why I had to say “in my experience”. I’m old enough that to me, pudding was something you cooked up in a saucepan, from sugar and cocoa powder and milk and cornstarch. This guy is young. For all I know, kids these days might talk about “pudding” as “Jello” if the only pudding they’ve ever known is Jell-O brand pudding? Someone who associates with kids regularly will have to answer that.

8 Likes

Kids today. Tch! :wink:

2 Likes

10 Likes

I had no idea pudding cups used to come in cans!

5 Likes

Aspic has entered the chat!

18 Likes

And as is only right and proper, everyone else exits the chat.

15 Likes

Yes, pudding is the generic term for what I assume would be called custard elsewhere, not exclusively the jello brand stuff.

Jello is the most common brand for instant or premade pudding but lots of other brands exist, especially generic ones.

And when you make a basic chocolate, vanilla, or banana custard type thing from scratch, it’s called pudding.

Edit: Or tapioca, almost forgot tapioca pudding.

We also have rice pudding and bread pudding which are obviously a bit different.

7 Likes

There are places that serve it but it’s not very common. I’ve never had it and would have been confused by the name when I was young, before I started watching a bit of British TV.

4 Likes

These were our birthday cakes as i was growing up. You could easily hide lots of coins in them Clootie dumpling recipe | BBC Good Food

3 Likes

The closest we USians get in general, I think, is ‘pot pies’ which are mostly the same as the sort of savory pie you would get in the UK, though I believe the specific fillings used aren’t quite the same.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Steak and kidney pudding is NOT a pie.

Pie = shortcrust pastry. Makes a pie. Baked in a pie dish and served that way up. This is pie.

S&K pudding = suet pastry. Steamed in a bowl. Turned out and served ‘upside down’. This is pudding.

12 Likes

To add to that, steak and kidney pie is a little hard to find in the US, and steak and kidney pudding is even less common.

3 Likes

I understand this, but I’d still argue that a pot pie is the closest we get. I don’t think suet pastry is commonly done in any fashion over here.

5 Likes