Regular Badges

You didn’t poke a certain someone repeatedly about your pedantic behavior either.
Also that badge is not meant as an honor. But wear it as you wish.

6 Likes

From what I recall about the Incident, some folks noticed this badge and started trying to figure out ways to get it and were poking a certain mod about it. The joke went out of hand and several bans were handed out (IIRC they were week or month long bans, but still uncool).

2 Likes

Liberty, Equality, Pedantry

12 Likes

To be fair I know for sure one was expecting the time out and was fine with it. The timing of it was odd mostly.

2 Likes

What about those of us around over at least three different comment systems, and periods when BB had no comment system?

12 Likes

How about those of that still have copies of the print zine?

13 Likes

How about those of us who have been Boinged and or contributed? :wink:

I don’t really expect anything, just having fun.

6 Likes

I have, sort of

1 Like

Blue Blaze Irregular #177 checking in. “Helping him help us.”

6 Likes

9 Likes

freenode #boingboing? I’ve been there since before the BBS and never seen you I don’t think

1 Like

By my memory I was banned on two of those previous comment systems…

Lost those in the move from NYC to Tokyo back in 97

2 Likes

Yeah that’s how it works

The support group gets a message, someone from support deals with it, they archive it cause they are done with it, it pops out of the support inbox

For non “support” like groups we can add a toggle, but “group pms” were never designed as a substitute for private categories, that is the fundamental issue. If the powers that be don’t want to foster private comms between regulars they should not allow regulars to be mentionable.

6 Likes

Got it. Thanks, @sam!

1 Like

There it is, the badge I’ve been waiting for: Unmentionable.

20 Likes

I have it on good word that there was exactly one post per bannee and they were tongue in cheek rather than actual attempts at the badge. The one post wasn’t even pendantry – more of a popo exposition on meaning of words… There were a few other users who responded similarly, but did not get a time-out.

The actual bans were 1 day and 2 days.

And, yes, one kinda expected it because he had seen others get similar short bans for “annoying”.

8 Likes

Irregular hahahaha I like it. How about someone who participates frequently but not all that regularly?

1 Like

Not enough choices, like so many other polls/elections. You should also include I saw the Lounge, saw a few people snarking at each other and left, because for that, I could be back on facebook.

1 Like

I’ve always had mixed feelings about the “Regular” label.

On the one hand, I really like the tiered trust system that’s been working for a while now.

On the other hand,I don’t spend enough time here (apparently) to qualify- But with 1,300+ posts and at least checking in to see what’s new almost every day for the last 4 years, I kind of feel like a “regular”. I kind of feel bad that I’m not recognized as one.

3 Likes

That’s part of why the old system was lacking. It rewarded prolific readers, not so much prolific posters.

You have to be careful with the latter, because rewarding post count risks people posting content less posts to raise their count, but true prolific posters of valued content deserve recognition.

4 Likes