Regular Badges

I also think about say, two different users- One who joins, reads every discussion, comments on everything, and then vanishes after 2 or 3 months; versus someone who maybe only leaves one or two comments a week, but does it consistently for 5 years straight. I’d be inclined to consider the second one as more of a regular than the first.

I don’t know if there’s a way to weigh frequency and longevity against each other.

4 Likes

I know I didn’t post that much to the boing threads at least I don’t think I did. A lot are yeah I like that so I just click the heart, no reason to make a comment about it. I have only done so when a lot of the other posts for the day are depressing with a yes more like this please.

But I do post 4 or 5 comments a week in them. I could point you to the non boing threads… Questions is a good one to post things to. Heck just reading the original questions thread will up your reading count (don’t really go there unless you are crazy)

ETA just looked at that one… wow I have just over 1100 posts in it I am not sure whether to be happy or sad about that.

6 Likes

Well, the latter case will be covered by the anniversary badges I hope to start offering next week.

I think multiple methods will be necessary. Prolific reader, prolific participation (caveat above), and community nomination, perhaps?

2 Likes

That person would lose regular status so I am not sure exactly what your point is here?

2 Likes

I have a feeling there are a lot of readers like that. My partner says the reason she doesn’t post here often is that every time she wants to say something, she realizes someone else already has, so they get a like instead. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Largely illustrative. It was really more about framing the following example.

Quick update for everyone:

I’m still working on the SQL needed to generate the new badges (this has involved learning about the intricacies of the BBS in new and interesting ways) but I fully intend to get the new anniversary badges up as soon as I have a list of awardees. :slight_smile:

As a point of note, I got very many PMs about “regular” status and how to display it - the process is the same as before, go to your profile, then preferences, and select your title. If you were a regular and you don’t have a title option, than I goofed and you need to PM me. Thanks!

3 Likes

The regulars group has been nuked then? Didn’t take long, we all knew it wouldn’t last.

1 Like

I created the group so I could add flair to user avatars, but the majority did not want the feature. Unfortunately, a group that size also doesn’t work for messages, either, as several folks pointed out (anyone can archive the mailbox, notifications weren’t honoring settings, etc.

There still identifiable, though - just check the badges page for anyone with the “BBS Regular” badge, and those users are able to choose that as a title to display, as well.

I see a better place across the water, the people there are waving, calling for me to join them. I hear singing and laughter, see double rainbows and unicorns. Surely my eyes and ears are cheated by some spell…

7 Likes

Notifications should honor settings, the archiving is a “feature”.

3 Likes

Update:

For the BBS specific anniversary badges, I’m basically ready to go - the Discourse folks are checking my work (read: verifying my SQL) then I’ll launch em, 24 hours later, if you’ve been here more than a year, you have anywhere from 1-4 badges coming your way.

I decided to name them thusly:

1 year: BBS Ensign
2 year: BBS Lieutenant
3 year: BBS Lieutenant Commander
4 year (no one has these yet): BBS Commander

Those are all selectable titles you are welcome to choose from if you’d like to show a little flair, too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Aaand the customized anniversary badges are live!

https://bbs.boingboing.net/badges/108/bbs-ensign

https://bbs.boingboing.net/badges/105/bbs-lieutenant

https://bbs.boingboing.net/badges/106/bbs-lieutenant-commander

https://bbs.boingboing.net/badges/107/bbs-commander

All of these should be granted around midnight, as I understand it, when the BBS maintenance runs, so look for notifications in your inbox tomorrow!

And yes, all of these can be used as titles! (Just click on your profile in the top-right corner, then the gear icon, then choose the title you want. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Loving the new paramilitary titles!

Suits my mood, today I went to a military surplus/airsoft show.

2 Likes

Odd choice.
“Are we the baddies?”

9 Likes

Of course not.

@orenwolf, regarding the avatar flair, I suggest skulls.

12 Likes

And here I thought they might be pips.

1 Like

5 Likes

I think Orenwolf has made the same mistake Patrick O’brian did, not seeing down the road far enough. He should have started lower with Petty Officer ranks, such as Boatswain, Gunner, Sailing Master, Midshipman and Masters Mate.

4 Likes

I’d prefer not to use naval ranks.