Religious group tries to get Netfilx to cancel Amazon's "Good Omens"

20k signatures at the time of the article. I wonder if anyone has told them that if Netflix had the power to cancel their competition’s show, they would have been doing it long before now?

14 Likes

The type of trash on the right that probably set them off. (It’s not like they’ve watched that show, on Netflix or otherwise):

Other than pointless quibbling about the sex of angels, there nothing pointing out how the story is actually theologically wrong, with references to the Bible and all that.

The saddest part is they consider references to global warning trendy social justice stuff … in a story published in 1990.

eta: The best part of that page is that aside from their crap ads, the rest are obviously indexed to me: Mountain Equipment Co-op and Milanoo.

9 Likes

Off topic: I love how Crowley sashays through every scene he’s in.

“Crowley didn’t fall, so much as saunter vaguely downward.”

12 Likes

It is rather funny that a show which gives a Biblical Literalist worldview of the Earth being only 6,000 years old is the cause of their ire.

David Tennant is rather fun to watch. That alone makes it more important to culture and the well being of existence as we know it than the concerns of this group.

8 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

Guess no one told them about the American Gods episode with all the Jesuses. Or would that be Jesi?

Anyway, some people need to get a life. About 20,000 of them.

8 Likes

Only David Tennant could have pulled Crowley off so well.

9 Likes

Michael Sheen was good too, but Tennant nailed it, totally.
Close enough to the book to please a fan like me, I enjoyed the series; Maybe it was the Free Will part these guys didn’t like…

8 Likes

I like how easily he slides from vairy, vairy posh to 10th-Doctor mockney and back again.

> Oi! Shem! That unicorn’s going to make a run for it if … oh, too late.

6 Likes

He’s good in pretty much everything, even as a villain:

8 Likes

He was terrifying as Kilgrave. Literally made my skin crawl. That whole “look how nice I’m being to you, and this is how you show your gratitude?” Jesus, that was an excellent character study in evil.

6 Likes

When The Passion of the Christ came out a co-worker said it was blasphemous, and when I asked what part of it was so bad he said he hadn’t seen it. His answer as to how he could say that when he hadn’t seen it for himself was that his pastor said it was.
The willfully ignorant leading the willfully ignorant.

ETA I’m probably mistaken; it may well have been The Last Temptation of Christ, as @SheiffFatman suggests. Sorry, a haze hangs over much of the 80s for me!

7 Likes

That’s authoritarian paternalism for you.

“father knows best, and if he raped a kid shut the fuck up.”

4 Likes

Hang on, I thought The Passion of the Christ was popular with the devout? Both the director and the lead are pretty committed Catholics.

Had he or his pastor got it mixed up with The Last Temptation of Christ? That’s the one where Jesus gets it on with Mary Magdalene, IIRC.

2 Likes

He was absolutely great;
Tennant really made me hate the character, even though I personally adore him as an actor. It was supremely satisfying when Jessica finally snapped his fucking neck in the finale.

(No spoilers tags, yo; it’s been 4 years.)

5 Likes

He did a really good turn in Spies of Warsaw as a French intelligence officer trying to figure out what the Nazis are up to on the borders of Poland in the late 1930s. (Spoiler: nothing good.)

3 Likes

A lot of evangelical philosophy says catholicism is tainted with idolatry. The demon of idolatry is baal. Therefore catholics are tainted with demons and anything they do is blasphemous.

3 Likes

This reminds me of a time in college when we were studying the Bible as literature, and one of my classmates threw his hands up in disgust at how we were all treating the scripture “as if it were something to think about.”

7 Likes

David Tennant is the master of acting with his teeth. :grin:

I liked the Shakespeare gag in Good Omens, because, you know, Hamlet.

6 Likes