Remembering Alan Rickman's amazing performance as Hans Gruber

Rickman was a kind of genius. I miss him.

His character Hans Gruber is so many kinds of amazing.

ICYMI:

ETA: correct links

8 Likes

The video actually makes the salient point that a good villain has to be even more competent than the hero, to give the hero a challenge to overcome. If the hero is too powerful, there is no dynamic, no tension, nothing at stake.

This is an excellent point. This gives McClane some degree of comfort with his surroundings (along with “making fists with your toes”), some command of the environment, which is necessary … if he’s hopelessly out of his element, he doesn’t stand a chance. He needs some mastery there. This is sharp writing when it comes to the hero, as well as the villain.

8 Likes

That’s one thing the Bond movies got right from the get-go: the villain (and ideally at least some of the myrmidons) must be played by really, really good actors.

6 Likes
14 Likes

Not to denigrate Alan Rickman in any way, for he is a wonderful actor, but much of the description lavished in the video would, I suspect, be due to the direction.

1 Like

If I ever have a son, I will be quite tempted to name him Hans.

2 Likes

Well, they misspelled Herd and used the wrong article (should be der) but I’ve always read it as heartwarming German story about a stove.

6 Likes

Eigener Herd ist Goldes wert!

7 Likes

Really excellent point, and even more so because it mirrors the way Hans touches things as he passes through his surroundings. Very clever mirroring.

4 Likes

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

4 Likes

“ erschieße die Server!”

2 Likes

Eh, close enough.

(Herd ≠ fireplace, in this context, but the meaning is clear.)

3 Likes

dogman-drunk-out-ideas

RIP, Alan!

Damn it, there used to be a clip online from Truly Madly Deeply, with him singing The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore… but I can’t find it… but here is a comp of him singing which includes it (about 4:15 minutes in)…

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.