Remembering Euell Gibbons' Grape Nuts commercials

Grape nuts in ice cream sounds amazing! I sometimes enjoy mixing them into yogurt

4 Likes

grape nuts are great in yogurt.

As a kid I’d put them in a bowl, pour the milk on them and then put the bowl back in the fridge for 1/2 hour to soften up the nuggets.

5 Likes

Looking at the nutrition information on the Grape Nut’s website, I not sure if this is a really good option for diabetics like myself, which is a shame as I recall liking it. A standard serving (58g or about 1/2 a cup) is dense, but on the small side and at 47g of carbs, even subtracting out the 7g of fiber, that a lot of carb for a less than filling serving size. That bowl Euell pours in the commercial looks more like two servings, so 80g of carbs (again, subtracting fiber) and that’s before the milk!

Hmm. I may to stick to generic corn flakes.

3 Likes

My dad ate that during my childhood. Now, I too eat Grape Nuts and love them… it’s the initial crunch with the milk to help immediately soften it once cracked.

I also like crunching ice… maybe it’s a similar thing?

2 Likes

What is it with Dads and Grape-Nuts?

My father would eat it on occasion, but only drenched in half-and-half. As a pre-teen I emulated my father and would also each it on occasion the same way.

One detail I haven’t spotted here is that it could also be eaten hot, like steel-cut oats, I guess. I never tried it.

1 Like

My step-grandad used to eat it in acidophilus milk.

3 Likes

As a kid I thought the name was some kind of supermarket prank.

6 Likes

It does sound rather supercilious.

Not to mention … bilious.

first isolated from infant feces

Trick Or Treat Halloween GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

6 Likes

A serving of popular brand corn flakes is 28 g and carbs are reported at 24 g, so about the same.

Oats are where it’s at though (not talking about the sugary stuff), 27 g carbs in 40 g serving.

1 Like

All I can say is yogurt was not a popular grocery item in 1970s rural coastal Florida, so one did what one could. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

What are they? Sorghum? Stale Coffee Powder? Adbusters’ breakthrough product?

2 Likes

Just checked the ones I eat: Serving size 40g with 30g of carbs. I wonder if the commercial brands add more sugar? Wait, no, I don’t have to wonder that, of course they do! I like oats, but samefood is very much a thing.

2 Likes

Wikipedia has your back!

Modern-day original Grape-Nuts contain whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt, dried yeast, and the following added vitamins and minerals: iron, vitamin B3, zinc oxide, vitamin B6, vitamin B1, and folic acid. Grape-Nuts Flakes contain sugar as well.[[15]](Grape-Nuts - Wikipedia

According to the Grape-Nuts website, Grape-Nuts “actually contains neither grapes nor nuts”. The name may have come from the cereal’s resemblance to grape seeds, or from its nutty flavor; C. W. Post may also have intended it to refer to its content of glucose, which Post called “grape sugar.”[16]

2 Likes

I loved these when I ate cereal. I nuked them with milk to make them softer. Definitely not a cereal if you’re in a hurry.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Slowly getting those teeth fixed, and looking forward to eating Grape Nuts again. It’s literally one of my top 5 cereals.

3 Likes

For those looking to follow in Mr. Gibbons’ footsteps and diet, it’s as well to remember that he died of stomach cancer.

3 Likes

lol YUP, that’s what drove me to grape nuts. Still sweeten it with honey and fruits, but at least it’s on my own terms.

1 Like

I love grape nuts, but maybe I cheat a little. I pour a little bit of maple syrup on them and put them in the microwave for a few seconds so they are softer. Yum.

According to Wikipedia, and many articles about his death, that’s not true

By today standards he wasn’t a healthy eater though.

2 Likes