Rep. explains why two lawmakers were expelled from Tennessee House: "They are 2 young Black men"

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Bruce Lee Racism GIF

They have already heavily gerrymandered those districts to pack Black voters into as few districts as possible, and now they are finding flimsy excuses to expel them because they are Black. I get wanting to disentangle the two, but you really can’t.

It sends a chill down the spine of all the fine folks there who do not want to live in a fascist-led state… the white supremacists are celebrating this as a victory…

15 Likes

Amazing speech.

8 Likes

Ouch

ETA

10 Likes

Per atAdvocacy News, both should be coming back:

A majority on Nashville’s Metropolitan Council has pledged to reinstate Democrats Justin Jones and Justin Pearson to the Tennessee Legislature after Republicans expelled them for participating in gun violence protests at the state capitol. The council is scheduled to hold a special hearing on Monday which will include a vote to reinstate the two elected officials, setting up a stunning rebuke of the shameful and utterly fascist maneuver. And guess what? Tennessee’s constitution says no representative can be expelled twice for the same offense…so Reps. Jones and Pearson, the floor is yours!

10 Likes

From Amicus:

Sherrilyn Ifill: And I would say that Thursday demonstrated that I could not be prouder of these two young men of Justin Jones and Justin Pearson for the way they deported themselves and for the presentation they made in the well.
Because what they did was not only did they vindicate themselves and the young people they came to represent, but they pointed out what has been happening in the House, which is that Democrats have not been allowed to speak. They have had their mics cut by the speaker. The Republicans are so drunk with power that they regularly call the question of legislation with no debate that they have been run over. And that’s why they entered the chamber with bullhorns to make sure that their voices were heard, because their mics have been cut.

6 Likes

that’s quite a brave stance /s

so his position is, he knows about and has documentation of multiple affairs by conservative politicians. politicians who have positioned themselves as champions of “family values” and “christian values” but hasn’t wanted to publish anything about their hypocrisy and self dealing for… reasons

only now, when people are righteously angry about these politicians behavior, he’s willing to reveal this secret information so he can play the hero and distract from the real issues at hand?

( eta: but he’s still not actually going to do so. he’s only going to threaten it so he can bully them the way they bully everyone else. )

:confused:

5 Likes
8 Likes

Well well well:

:thinking:

5 Likes
5 Likes

dance party GIF

Bernie Sanders Dancing GIF

Music Video Fun GIF by Dawin

8 Likes

I’m listening to his speech just now; last week was too hectic in 3D life for me to pay it the attention it greatly deserves.

Good for that young representative; we need many more like him.

11 Likes

a non twitter version of that ( slightly paywalled but still mostly readable )

it also raises questions about the sizeable expenses he’s been getting the state to pay on his behalf

Sexton claimed an even larger amount in per diem expenses, $42,617. In the same year, Mitchell claimed just $5,810. So far in 2023, Sexton has claimed $14,085, while Mitchell has claimed $2,528. In total, Sexton may have overcharged Tennessee taxpayers as much as $78,756 since 2020.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.