Rep. Marie Newman responds to Marjorie Taylor Greene's anti-transgender sign

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

15 Likes

This was me. Bullied at 10 yrs old. Met the bully again when I was 18 or 19. He was bigger than me both times, but in my late teens I was either fearless or idiotic. I crossed the road to grab him by the collar and sneer “remember me?” or some such shit.
He didn’t remember me. Looking in his eyes, he didn’t remember much of anything.
Perhaps his size as a child was linked to his condition, I don’t know.
What I do know is that only one of us left the schoolyard. He was still there. An adult only on the outside.
That was a major change for me, and the end of a lot of my anger. 35 or more years ago now.
These days, you’ll find me tending strawberries at my allotment. I still think of him from time to time. Anyway.,.

5 Likes

You might have been both without realizing it. Like (I imagine) many Boingers, I was ruthlessly bullied all through school and grew up with that as my identity. As a young adult, however, I met someone that I hadn’t seen since elementary school. It turns out I had bullied her without even remembering it. She described it to me, and I immediately knew she was right. I suspect many of us are both in different situations. When someone punches down at you, and you can’t punch back, you look for someone below you to punch down at.

All of this makes me glad schools take this stuff much more seriously than they did in those days.

13 Likes

My favourite trick in high school was to discretely remove the hinge pins from a closed door. It’ll open fine, then it falls off. If you also hide the hinge pins, it’ll be a while before they have a working door again.

People can get hurt if the door falls on them, so take precautions.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I suppose it is possible, I know in my case a big factor was how often we moved. That meant I have little recollection of interactions after 9th grade where I was bullied, or where I might have bullied another. Except for the typical jocks in the shower room sort of stuff, where they joke about sexually assaulting you if you were a geek. My best defence was to ignore them, which at first pissed them off even more, but their anger fuelled my resolve, as I saw that it got to them.

Actually, that brings me back on topic, as the sort of stuff this Greene person is doing is a lot like the talk that went on when changing for PE class: “Hey, better not drop your soap around [insert derogatory nickname], he might try to pound you in the butt, hahaha!” “I dunno, he looks kinda like he’d rather get his own ass pounded!” “Watch out, [insert derogatory nickname], we’re coming for you!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.