Rep. Ted Lieu plays Candace Owens' Hitler remarks on phone during House hearing on white nationalism

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 8 hours.

Of course he did.

10 Likes

I notice she also takes the opportunity to link the term “globalism” with the idea of “occupying your neighbors and exterminating their citizens to make room for your own”.

5 Likes

It’s not so odd. Many of Owen’s fellow travelers like to concentrate on the “sozialist” part of that in an attempt to blame the Nazis on the left. It’s as stupid as claiming that Hitler wasn’t a nationalist, but the point is spread an ink cloud of doubt.

4 Likes

Anyone know of a transcript of the interview in which she said that? I’d like to see this context that she says is missing.

4 Likes

“A nationalist would never kill their own people.” --Candace Owens

Hitler thought he wasn’t killing his own people, so she and Hitler are basically in agreement.

27 Likes

And there is another one. I guess that is what happens when you kick a rotten log. :tired_face:

13 Likes

That’s definitely what an uncle tom is.

A black person explaining to everyone how he’s much better off being tied to the railroad tracks by that fine republican gentleman Duke Dastardly.

12 Likes
14 Likes

Thought I smelled astroturf.

Yuck.

9 Likes

Comparing the GOP or Democratic party of 1864 with today is such a childish ploy.

Example: the GOP of today talks about states rights, but Lincoln clearly wasn’t in favor of states rights when it came to slavery. Teddy Roosevelt was a conservationist and a trust-buster, opposite of today’s GOP. And while it was Southern Democrats that founded the KKK, you’d be hard-pressed to find a single Democrat in the KKK today, let alone finding weird ways to praise Hitler while claiming they weren’t praising Hitler.

It’s spelled “you’re” as in “you are.”

(You’re welcome.)

11 Likes

The things that live under a rotten log are an important part of the ecosystem, unlike the far right.

15 Likes

While a link to a Facebook video is pretty compelling stuff, it doesn’t really address some basic facts. The Democratic party was dominant among Southern whites following the Civil War and through the mid 20th century. In 1900, conservative white people in the South overwhelmingly supported Democrats. In 2000, conservative white people in the South overwhelmingly supported Republicans.

Something happened in the 1960s that caused a broad regional re-alignment among the parties that shifted Southern party ideology and identification. I guess the argument from the truthers is that this realignment just happened to coincide with the CRA and the civil rights movement in general?

15 Likes

I notice quite a few people showing up to defend Owens. Maybe Owens has said some things that resonates with you or that you approve of.

I get that the specific remarks about Hitler have been since clarified. Giving remarks about Hitler that need later clarification can sometimes stick with you as a public figure. Maybe that feels unfair?

As for Owens’ supposed actual point, that Hitler was not a nationalist, that is foolish. Owens said, “A nationalist wouldn’t kill their own people.” The justification of killing people of Jewish and Romani faith or heritage, killing people with disabilities, killing people who weren’t straight, and killing lots of other people in Nazi Germany was that Hitler did not label those people as German people. They were seen as outsiders, invaders.

Of course nationalists in America aren’t going to kill “their own people”. They are going to kill black people, hispanic people, Muslim people, Jewish people, and “traitors” who support those people. People Trump has plainly labeled as not Trump’s people include all democrats, everyone who works in the news, and judges. None of the people they kill will be considered “their own people” when they kill them.

41 Likes

Especially when we’re talking about Republicans who are actively championing the cause of the Confederacy. You can’t claim “Democrats are the REAL party of racism and slavery!” while simultaneously standing in the way of Democrats fighting to remove monuments to racism and slavery.

21 Likes

Agreed. Jewish citizens were not “people,” to Hitler.

But more broadly, the whole thrust of her thought actually boils down to a No True Scotsman argument. “No true nationalist would ever do X”, where X is “something bad.” If it works for “Christians” and “Scotsmen,” hell, why not use it for “nationalists.”

15 Likes

Have you noticed conservative commentators always call it “the democrat party now” implying that the democrats aren’t “democratic”. It’s this subtle micro aggression that often goes without correction in interviews because it almost sounds like they misspoke, but it’s very clearly intentional.

13 Likes

Also the idea of Germany as a nation has different meanings depending on when in history you are talking about.

This is Germany today within the EU

This was Germany 15 years before Hitler seized power. They lost territory after WW1
This is the Holy Roman Empire at its greatest extent (12th century), the empire ended just 130 years before the Nazi regime

What is Germany? It depends on who you ask and when.

15 Likes

That’s a bit ironic since the republican party is incredibly antidemocratic, what with all the voter disenfranchisement and cozying up to authoritarians and oligarchs.

13 Likes