Reply All interviewed the 30-50 feral hogs guy and learned he had a point

I know Hawaii has a problem with feral peegs getting into forest preserves and tearing up native plants and habitat, and giving imported pest species (like miconia) a toehold. However, our pigs are relatively small (under 250 pounds, mostly) and can be kept out with the aforementioned steel tube and mesh fences.

I’m late to this party, but if the OP has a problem with pigs coming into his yard when his children are playing (are the pigs actually coming after the children?), I’d think that enclosing the yard would be a reasonable solution.

7 Likes

Exactly.

I think this guy just likes the repeated thrill of blowing them away.

10 Likes

Boars are big and dangerous, I’m not sure wolves are enough. We might need to release all those tigers and lions Americans keep as “pets”. With a good sized tiger population that man is not going to worry about boars hurting his children.

5 Likes

A buddy who was a former military helicopter pilot later flew for a Texas company that would let sport hunters cull feral hogs from the air. There are crazy videos of it online. Hogs run, flip in the air when shot.

Closest legal thing to hunting humans from a chopper I suppose.

The only way to stop bad-guy hogs is a good-guy hog with a gun!

4 Likes

That one season of The Walking Dead where they hung out on the farm the whole time would’ve been more exciting if they’d constantly been attacked by wild pigs that they had no means of keeping away

9 Likes

An assault rifle would be a terrible choice for dealing with a pack of feral hogs.

2 Likes

A representative of the Society for the Restoration of the Passenger Pigeon will be contacting you shortly.

5 Likes

The Passenger Pigeon didn’t become extinct because of guns alone, or spot-shooting.

They flew in super-dense packs, and you could kill them with a stick. They were trapped wholesale…

The professionals and amateurs together outflocked their quarry with brute force. They shot the pigeons and trapped them with nets, torched their roosts, and asphyxiated them with burning sulfur. They attacked the birds with rakes, pitchforks, and potatoes. They poisoned them with whiskey-soaked corn.

Potatoes!

It is really awful they were hunted to extinction by humans…

13 Likes

If there are enough feral hogs, the walkers wouldn’t have been a problem for long, what with the carrion eating and all that.

1 Like

I haven’t listened to this Reply All episode yet, but this topic comes up often. The US isn’t the only country with major problems with domestic hogs. Last time this was discussed I did a quick google search and Australia had what sounded like pretty good guidelines. You must take an array of approaches. Individuals indiscriminately shooting in all likelihood make things worse by spooking groups temporarily and long term selectively breeding for reclusive hogs. Populations will double every year, so any ad hoc solution means it’ll come back in a matter of months.

Shooting from helicopters is way more effective at culling, but again, needs to be part of a larger effort. Poisoning is also really effective in dense concentrations, but baiting first is very important. Fencing is generally way too expensive for widespread use, but works for protecting very very small areas.

2 Likes

I think it’s more akin to how strong of a lock do you need to keep someone out. Cheap fences work for certain things like containing livestock. You need beefy fences to keep out feral hogs and it’s unreasonably expensive to use as a widespread solution.

2 Likes

Yes, of course the feral hogs are coming for your children, especially if you’re a registered Republican. That’s because the radical Democrats have enlisted the hogs as a way of winning future elections. Which is why the Democrats will first come for your guns, so that you don’t have any way to protect yourself or your little Republican children from the hogs. Think of it as the Democrats’ answer to gerrymandering. A sort of “natural selection” approach, if your precious little conservatives can’t protect themselves from the feral hogs, that’s just Darwinism. Or maybe God will protect them? Like He will for Global Warming?

6 Likes

Can you elaborate on this claim? Because assault weapons like AR-15 or AK47 using fragmenting rounds (military ammunition) seem to do an awfully good job of bringing down large animals of the human species, which is what they were originally designed for from my understanding.

1 Like

An assault rifle would be a terrible choice for dealing with a pack of feral hogs

Well, yeah, but by the time you haul out the Mk-19 and get it all set up, the hogs will scatter.

:wink:

1 Like

Would a pack of wolves even stand a chance against a sounder of feral hogs?
(Looked up the collective noun, what a cool word).

Obviously we need velociraptors.

3 Likes

The radical Democrats didn’t expect the feral hogs to eat their children.

3 Likes

I somehow doubt a single guy with an assault rifle could take down 30 to 50 hogs going by this example

4 Likes

I tracked down and interviewed a pack of feral hogs and they unanimously agreed that the real problem is the feral humans who are running rampant.

9 Likes

Yeah, well… Double-edged hog… Live by the hog, die by the hog.

2 Likes