Report: Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack

Sadly, floating on coke then = more likely to suffer heart attacks now. The mechanism has apparently recently been discovered.

1 Like

In 2016…?

I don’t know, 2016 is also the year of unlikely survivors (e.g. Assad).
Our dog just celebrated Christmas by eating a bowl of chocolate coated raisins which are never, ever to be left in his reach. One expensive emergency vet visit later, every trace seems to have been removed from his insides before it could be digested. By sheer chance the emergency vet was in the local surgery. Not a miracle, I don’t believe in them, but a reminder that sometimes bad things happen and then don’t get worse.

8 Likes

Recently?

Where was this “recent” discovery reported, the New England Journal Of No Shit Sherlock?

1 Like

I hope you’re wrong and fear you’re right

2 Likes

I’m not writing about the fact that cocaine increases heart attack risk, which has been known for a long time, but that apparently how this happens is now understood, so we know it’s cause not simple correlation.

A 2014 report says the mechanism of damage was poorly understood:

[Cocaine-Related Cardiomyopathy: Overview, Cardiac Effects of Cocaine, Epidemiology]
(Cocaine-Related Cardiomyopathy: Overview, Cardiac Effects of Cocaine, Epidemiology)

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find the paper I was referencing in a quick search, but as I understood it a mechanism has been discovered for both aortic stiffening and ventricle wall thickening. Apparently cocaine causes tiny bits of localised damage to artery and heart walls which builds up over time and the way this happens has been elucidated.

Cocaine would seem to be the universe’s revenge on bankers.

7 Likes

And while Death distracts us with Carrie Fisher, he runs off with George Michael, dead at 53.

8 Likes

Glad the dog is okay! Scary!

3 Likes

Typical dog; I posted that in the vets while the vet attended to the other dog that had done exactly the same thing, and he was looking extremely sick. Five minutes later, back to normal, bounces into car boot with no problems. Fine today.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.