Report: Chicago PD dashcams sabotaged by officers

[Read the post]

2 Likes

The word youā€™re looking for is impunity, from the Latin for ā€œno fucking consequences at all.ā€

9 Likes

serving the overlords, not the public

3 Likes

Dashcams and bodycams are only half of the solution. The other half is serious consequences for neglecting or sabotaging them. Like, lose your job and possibly go to jail consequences. Thatā€™s the trick, of courseā€¦ police already can straight-up murder people consequence-free, so good luck getting them in trouble for breaking a camera.

13 Likes

Too bad that ballot initiatives are pretty much just a western thing, or this crap would be a perfect target for one. Simple ballot initiative that says that tampering with dashcams or bodycams constitutes destruction of evidence and obstruction of justice and is an automatic firing.

7 Likes

Oh. There will be consequences. The thing that these assholes donā€™t think about, that should be keeping them up at night, is how incredibly terrible those consequences will get the more they put them off for some future where people will have seriously had way too enough of their bullshit.

7 Likes

Why canā€™t the manufacturers of dash cams build in all the spyware / sneaky recording / hidden features that we the public get on our smartphones and windows computers? Seems simple enough to make them tamper-resistant or to call home to say that itā€™s been tampered with which ought to be a red flag that someone needs to check out the operators of said vehicle right away.

Of course that assumes those who would be in charge of following up werenā€™t part of the cover-up.

1 Like

Making subtle tampering difficult is one of those ā€˜harder than it looks but doableā€™ things(something like, say, not providing the user with the ability to change the real time clock settings, to prevent them from concealing gaps, would be an obvious good step). Making destruction difficult requires, sooner or later, that somebody who cares exerts physical control over the device(or at least checks up on it and demands an account from whoever checked it out).

This isnā€™t to say that some designs are trivially worse than others for ā€˜failure is bad, potential for ā€œfailureā€ is also really badā€™ environments; but as any sad, neglected, payphone can tell you, you can only resist physical attack for so long. Adherence to good practice(suitably chosen connectors, resistance to common operator errors, avoidance of fail-silent conditions, that sort of thing) can help; but if HQ isnā€™t willing to kick asses about nonfunctional equipment, itā€™s hard to save hardware from the user.

2 Likes

Yup. If I fail to file certain financial records in my normal civilian job, I will be fired and go to jail so fast your head will spin.

What makes cops so special they can destroy evidence of their crimes and get away with it? Nothing but cowardice and collusion with other members of city government.

Hereā€™s the solution: fire the force, bring in a fresh batch of cops, and then stop paying them whenever a device ā€œstops workingā€. If it even slightly looks like monkey business, go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. The cop has tampered with evidence. Jail is where they belong.

5 Likes

No cam footage, no pay for the day.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to get a scientific study on the breakdown of reasons for why the officer disabled their cam/mic. Would the majority be related to violence brought against the locals? Was it because they hate their supervisor/superintendent/DA/mayor, and said so in earshot of a cam/mic? Are they screwing someone elseā€™s [partner]? Fraud?

I can see the need for some separation of the recordings from the PD organizational structure, given past experience with corruption/fraud from the top-down as well as from the bottom-up. But that would mean LEOs would have to act in a role subservient, at worst, to the public, and they really donā€™t appear to like when that happens.

1 Like

Why is anyone surprised? The CPD has a history of: torturing suspects with electricity; running a ā€˜black siteā€™ where other suspects were tortured. This is just more frosting on their corruption-cake.

I like the idea of the badge of office being a functional video and audio recording device and without that badge, you have no authority to police.

4 Likes

I have a friend who is a highly educated civil servant. He trades high pay and sexy research for a good retirement pension and consistent employment. I think that criminals have similar options in police work.

Thatā€™s an interesting way to look at it. Weā€™ve certainly all heard the stereotype of people who say their rough childhood meant their career choices were either police/military or else becoming a criminal. At least in the military there is rigorous training to develop a cohesive, disciplined unit. Are we really getting our police recruits from a pool of would-be criminals who are smart enough to know policing is the less risky option and lazy/cowardly enough to want to avoid the military?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.