Report: Some U.S. poultry factory workers wear diapers at work because they're denied bathroom breaks

This is what happens when you have no concept of enough.

• Who wouldn’t pay 10% more for chicken to avoid this horror?!

… but the CEO would pocket the 10% and continue abusing workers.

15 Likes

That’s the MURICAN! way!

Too bad the owners will get away with it. They’ll pay the fines and just keep doing it. Wonder how easy it is to emigrate to Ireland?

1 Like

Wasn’t that pretty much what happened back when a Mr. Sinclair tried to inspire moral disgust about meatpacking plants? It’s almost like we’ve forgotten history and been doomed to repeat it or something.

5 Likes

I think we’ve become conditioned to tolerate a lot more horrible things since then.

See Nagasaki, Mai Lai, and my personal recent ‘favorite’

Learned helplessness, etc…

6 Likes

Only 9 states actually require employers give their employees rest breaks. As defecation and urination are both necessary and not at all optional conditions of being alive, I think it’s time we realized that we can no longer leave this question to the states and instead we must mandate these worker rights via the federal government.
Why are all of these bathroom issues coming up at the same time and why are states so concerned with your potty time?

6 Likes

CEO’s and upper management: first against the wall.

2 Likes

dafuq?!? is this true?

According to this and this but this says it’s only 7

5 Likes

I am honestly shocked. I never thought about rest breaks in the US, but if anyone would have asked me I would have answered something like “sure they have mandatory breaks. the US is a first world country after all”.

5 Likes

I suspect that it isn’t a good sign that, despite having taken all required and some elective American History courses at schools considered to be of decent quality, I only know about that incident because Mojo Nixon and Jello Biafra had a song about it on Prairie Home Invasion.

You get a little ‘and this is what the progressives did in the 19th century’; and that’s about it.

5 Likes

Two weird tricks to make a positive impact in this world? Go vegan and support/buy union.

The Intercept had a great article on how these corporations use ag-gag laws to quash transparency and classify non-violent protestors as terrorists.

2 Likes

As a resident of a city (Boston) in which the Teamsters are known as a thuggish worker’s mafia, I’d say that the unions are sadly not doing themselves any favors.

1 Like

The Teamsters have actually been hired to break other unions, such as the grape pickers unino. They are not representative - it’s a criminal organization.

1 Like

Gives new meaning to the word “chickenshit.” Seriously, the Noecons and Neolibs are NO different - both bankster-loving warmongers. I didn’t see the Dems make any bigger push for a fair minimum wage, even when they had Congress, than the Republicans, other than jawboning.

I typically pay about double for local, organic, free range chicken, versus supermarket tyson stuff.

Sorry, I HAPPILY pay about double, because so much goes into it. The meat quality, the business practices, the treatment of the workers, the treatment of the chickens, the waste processing…

I’d rather give my money to a bunch of hippies than a punch of plutocrats, every single day.

11 Likes

It feels weird to “like” that, but I hope you take it as a preach it. We will collectively swallow anything, it seems.

Well, to be contrary simply to be contrary, there are several studies that indicate that the urge to urinate does actually increase focus and productivity.

However, cocktail party trivia aside, there simply isn’t any way to justify this kind of treatment.

When you beat a control freak, rather than let you win, they force you to fight an even more fundamental fight. Got healthcare, well then, you can’t go to the bathroom when you want to.

It’s like trump, when someone beats him at a talking point he goes after fundamental respect for their genitalia (male or female). Since that respect was only for show in the first place.

Paternal authoritarians suck, and the american way is to have nuclear families, with a little dictator. encouraged to run each one. Something like that.

It’s that your lack of respect for their authority equates to their lack of respect for your dignity.

4 Likes

I’m not into tricks. Could you explain the former? (I think I get the latter).

From here:

http://www.latimes.com/visuals/graphics/la-g-food-water-footprint-20150410-htmlstory.html

Food takes shittons of water and energy to grow. Plants are much more efficient energy and water-wise than most animals. And these are just the protein rich stuff. If you’re going with spinach or potatoes, you’re looking at massive reductions in water use compared with beef and chicken.

2 Likes