Report: The Snyder Cut was pressured into being by an army of online trolls

I think I’ve mentioned it here before, but one of my rules of the Internet is to ignore anyone with an anime girl avatar.
It’s served me pretty well.

1 Like

In other breaking news, water is wet and fire continues to be hot.

I wouldn’t even go as far as “scenes”.

Images really. Stringing those together into a cogent series of actions isn’t something he can really do. He even struggles at shots where more is going on than just a mostly static visual.

His films are almost like slide shows. It’s not just that his scripts and plotting suck. It can be actively hard to know what’s going on. Sense of movement, space and causality is just not there.

Streamers track that by subscription numbers, how many subscribers watched vs how many people signed up to watch. So we’ll probably never know, they don’t need to release those metrics.

It seems to have sold about $15m in DVD/Bluray. They did release numbers on streaming views, it was apparently ~2m views in the first week, which was half of The Batman’s. Which was also in theaters.

I really doubt they got their investment back on this. But it seems like they mostly payed into this to get rid of Snyder and clear up any legal disputes with him.

4 Likes

Unless reshoots are required. CGI might make this easier, provided all the necessary assets have already been made. If not, it’s a real money pit.

1 Like

They claim to have spent about $70m on it. But there’s also the purported $100m payment to Snyder. And rumors of more, they apparently did a lot of reshooting. Either way it seems to have cost them at least as much as a new, non-tent pole movie.

3 Likes

Yeesh! That is definitely the wrong way to do it. You could have made 2-3 good movies with that money.

From all the reporting I think the thing is that it was cheaper than buying out Snyder’s contract and taking him to court for the footage. Or weathering whatever suits he might file.

Snyder’s deal was a lot broader than just directing these movies, he was meant to over see their whole “cinematic universe”. He was credited on or directly involved with almost everything to come out up until, like last year. And the contract to all appearances wasn’t up, as even after he was replaced on Justice League he was still locked down to produce for shit like Flash. There was meant to be a Batfleck movie, and a second Justice League was always planned.

4 Likes

I did manage to watch the whole of the original cut of the film. At least I think I did - I don’t actually recollect any of it, it was so completely forgettable. I can’t imagine the extended, slightly different version is any better.

1 Like

3 Likes

It is. It’s still not a remotely good movie, but it’s a better, or at least more memorable, one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.