Republican congressman-elect Greg Gianforte writes apology to reporter he punched and bodyslammed

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/08/republican-congressman-elect-g.html

4 Likes

“I made a mistake and humbly ask for your forgiveness,” the letter stated.

Christian dogwhistle. He’s writing to his base, not to the body-slammed reporter.

21 Likes

I’m frustrated that the congress-thug elect will experience approximately zero consequence for the crime of assault and battery.

I agree that his apology seems self-serving.

But I wonder what genuine contrition would look/sound like in this circumstance.

15 Likes

Even Jesse Ventura didn’t physically attack reporters.

7 Likes

Worth noting: Gianforte has a net worth of $315M. The average net worth of an individual in his age bracket in the US is $144k, including home equity. So, his donation is the equivalent of the average person writing a check for $22.

It’s great that he made the donation; but…perspective.

19 Likes

An apology for where law enforcement might put him in jail, but no apology for the campaign statement that blamed the reporter for the entire assault, and somehow it was because he was a liberal journalist. He should apologize for his attempted cover-up … we now know he will lie if he thinks he can get away with it.

14 Likes

5 Likes

Well… I guess it is slightly better than “I’m sorry if anyone was offended” or “I never intended for this to go public”…??

13 Likes

“I’m not in the least sorry that you know I’m not sorry when I say that I’m sorry.”

4 Likes

It looks like the Guardian lawyers know how to demand an apology, in particular where Gianforte acknowledges doing something “unlawful.” But it’s still unfortunate in that any “settlement” amounts to the reporter publicly forgiving him.

3 Likes

“I’m sorry if you were hurt.”

4 Likes

And let that be a lesson to all you right-wing ne’er-do-wells. Body slam a journalist and you might have to write a strongly worded apology.

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a mistake. I’ve never body-slammed anyone by accident.

But I’m glad to know he’s found White Protestant Jesus /s

5 Likes

Commitment to get mental care?

5 Likes

And he was qualified.

Qualified to bodyslam? Yes.

1 Like

Did he carve the apology on a classroom desk, and give the reporter that desk?

His own, personal, white, protestant, republican, xenophobic jesus. Wait, that doesn’t scan quite as well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.