Runner who slapped journalist on butt is Tommy Callaway, a youth minister and boy scout leader in Statesboro, Georgia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/runner-who-slapped-journalist.html

8 Likes

He said, “I was caught up in the moment. I was getting ready to bring my hands up and wave to the camera to the audience, there was a misjudge in character and decision-making. I touched her back. I did not know exactly where I touched her.”

Mistakes were made.

It is amazing to me the degree to which one can attempt to completely remove themselves as the agent of their own actions.

61 Likes

We do not expect any criminal charges to arise from this incident, and we are working with those involved to correct the situation.

Want to correct the situation? bring sexual assault charges akin to whatever some subway-groper would get. That means charges and arrest, buddy. I don’t care how loving of a father/husband you are.

And don’t try to play the “youth minister” card. The Catholics already burned that one.

But let’s stop with the Doxing. Just let him register as a low-level sex offender like everyone else who pulls this shit.

44 Likes

Pretty much nails the profile.

46 Likes

Proof that he isn’t sorry in the least. He was hoping to get away with it.

And yes, he did have criminal intent. He purposely physically assaulted/battered a stranger. If he’d done it to a man, wouldn’t that be considered criminal assault?

But it’s not really a crime if it’s done to someone who isn’t covered equally under the law.

48 Likes

There’s a pretty far distance between "… I was getting ready to bring my hands up and wave to the camera to the audience, there was a misjudge in character and decision-making. I touched her back. " and "He separates himself from the runners, and he kind of winds up. And he hit me hard,”

Charges should be filed, IMHO.

40 Likes

What a fucking asshole.

35 Likes

Wow, this is wrong. He intended to do it. It is a criminal act. Therefore, he did it with criminal intent. What he didn’t intend was to be caught, and certainly not to be punished. This dude is white male entitlement wrapped up in a bow.

54 Likes

WTF? In my neck of the woods, there was someone out groping women on a local bike trail. The cops finally caught up with him and he’s now facing aggravated battery charges (a felony).

34 Likes

Yeah, “no criminal intent” in this case seems to translate to “I really thought I could do whatever I wanted! What do you mean I could be held accountable for my actions? I certainly didn’t intend to be…”

41 Likes

This borders very close to sexual battery. Let him “regret” his poor impulse control in a cell block.

30 Likes

Came here to make exactly that point. It’s not like he accidentally bumped her with his hand because he was running and not paying attention to where his hands went.

He may not have had the criminal intent for a long time in advance but he definitely formed the intent to commit the assault he committed.

27 Likes

Obligs:

Touching anyone without their prior consent is assault.

46 Likes

You can see it coming as he approaches. He positioned himself specifically to slap her arse. He didn’t come forward until identified, so he knew he’d screwed up.

I hope he’s charged and found guilty.

27 Likes

Youth minister…

What’s that you say? Can’t he just use the excuse that it is part of his religious expression? Men having dominion of all things or such such malarkey.

14 Likes

His excuses kept nagging at me, like I had seen a similar performance before. Then I remembered… Excuses, excuses…

15 Likes

I’m with you on the rest, but in clear cases of assault, sexual or otherwise, I’m 100% ok with it. This is precisely the type of assault that goes completely unanswered in any meaningful way, which is exactly why someone like him would think they’re going to get away with it and even make the attempt.

See also; Charlottesville Nazis. Like mold, these scum flourish in the dark.

28 Likes

You know who doesn’t slap a stranger on the ass?

Loving husbands and fathers.

You know who DOES slap a stranger on the ass?

Assholes.

34 Likes

Do you kiss Jesus with that lying mouth? Really. It’s like the sort of cover story a child would use. On the bright side, the youth minister isn’t an accomplished liar. Sadly he has a fratboy attitude when it comes to respecting women.

16 Likes

I’m surprised he didn’t blame it on auto-correct.

21 Likes