Runner who slapped journalist on butt is Tommy Callaway, a youth minister and boy scout leader in Statesboro, Georgia

The problem is that once something like this goes viral online, the person becomes something of a lightning rod. I don’t see any articles on boingboing exposing the names of random rapists and where they live, so why this guy? A few days ago, a repeat sexual offender in the Bronx got busted groping some 18 y/o on the MTA. Why not publish his name so we can all scorn him?

3 Likes

He probably saw the camera rolling and it became Asshole Mode: Activated! Kind of like this idiot: https://youtu.be/M2ySep4_uR8

1 Like

Because he got busted. This guy didn’t come forward until after he got doxxed, so doing it was necessary to catch him. If he had come forward on his own, he might have avoided that.

18 Likes

Tommy is a loving husband

28 Likes

Cue passive voice.

14 Likes

His ‘apology’ reminds me of getting in trouble as a kid. I knew damn well I had done something wrong, but tried to deflect and shift blame using any and every excuse, no matter how transparent. I hope it goes as well for him as it went for me (i.e. not well at all).

8 Likes

Wonderful roll model for the kids. /s

Please at the very least have him stop being a scout leader and youth minister.

17 Likes

So they’ve advance from toppling fragile geological formations to casual sexual assault battery…

Progress :interrobang:

5 Likes

because of course he is.

Even done gently, nope nope nope.

This will no doubt end up on Harry Shearer’s Le Show, now more a podcast than broadcast, on a segment called “The Apology Of The Week.” A common theme is the “this is not me/us” apology. There are also nonpologies such as the ever-repeated “I’m sorry you reacted that way.”

14 Likes

Well, there are a few factors at play, once of which @anon62122146 delineates well; he was willing to hide behind anonymity until he couldn’t.

This isn’t bOing bOing doing the doxxing, just reposting. Even still, I think discretion should be exercised, but I see no compelling reason not to repost here and they’ve historically avoided doxxing when it is of dubious merit.

I am also not at all swayed by the “lightning rod” aspect. He sexually assaulted a woman in broad daylight. He should be a lighting rod for scorn. Fuck him. Again, the main reason men do these things is because they know they would get away with it historically. If it takes a few assholes losing their jobs or wives, so be it. Plenty of women have lost much, much more just by speaking up (or not even!).

If I was on the board of elders (or whatever governance churches utilize), he would already be out on his ass, no question.

30 Likes

“Assault” is pretty commonly defined as the credible threat of unwanted touching.

“Battery” is pretty commonly defined as unwanted touching (which is often understood to also entail assault).

Criminal intent aside: this was assault and battery. It was also sexualized, and in a public place. This motherfucker should be in jail already.

23 Likes

Needs “Poor Impulse Control” forehead tattoo.

20 Likes

I’m not going to go looking for them, but I’m sure that there is a Greek chorus of commentors out there in the 'webs talking about how a smack on the ass is some kind of “locker room behavior” to try to move it from the realm of assault to “sports culture.” To them I say the same that I did to the “locker room talk” excuse fro Trump bragging about sexual assault. “Yes, shit like this does happen in locker rooms, and it’s still assault there, and except for the future (or current) rapists in the locker room, we all fucking hate it.”

18 Likes

He seems to be confusing “no criminal intent” with hoping he wasn’t caught.

20 Likes

Maybe he was hoping for the Trump defense, that if he does it publicly in front of cameras, it must not be a crime. I certainly hope he’s convicted, but he’ll likely be pardoned and talking at fundraisers some day soon.

6 Likes

That is the heart of it. He had no right to her ass, or any other part of her, and the idea that “he did not mean to do it” just does not pass the sniff test. He has identified himself as a misogynistic asshole, whether he chooses to accept that or not. He needs to own that and deal with it.

21 Likes

Terry Crews wasn’t able to get charges filed by the DA in his case, and had to sue:

19 Likes

Savannah seems to have a butt-touching problem:

28 Likes

I guess if it was me, I’d just pass the info along to the victim and police. I’m not trying to minimize the disgusting act he did. The guy deserves jail/fine/register/divorce? punishment. But now he’s pretty much screwed for life because google.

As for being “screwed for life:”

He’s a non-poor “Xtian” White dude in America, I’m sure it’ll all turn out ‘okay’ for him in the end.

32 Likes