Runner who slapped journalist on butt is Tommy Callaway, a youth minister and boy scout leader in Statesboro, Georgia

Not anymore, hopefully.

9 Likes

Good point. At many prospective job options, this would probably be no more than an awkward joke at the interview depending on the industry. White privilege. Now that you point it out, if this was a laywerless black dude and the reporter was some faux-news cookie-cutter blonde, charges would already have been filed.

12 Likes

He didn’t get busted by one person, he got busted by people crowdsourcing doxxing him.

Also, unlike the subway groper, this guy chose to do it in the most public way possible, thus inviting public comment on his actions.

Also, his response makes it pretty clear that, in addition to not being sorry, he’s a lying shithead. There’s a limited amount of sympathy anyone can feel for other people, and for me, there are at least a couple billion people higher on that list than this guy.

18 Likes

No to mention, “Tommy Callaway” is a common enough name that simply going by his middle name in job applications would put him into the search engine anonymization noise.

Thus, my suggestion above for a more Lisbeth Salander-esque solution.

4 Likes

So sexually assaulting an adult doesn’t count as “progress”?

10 Likes

Along with the “if-pology” (“I’m sorry if I offended anyone / if you were offended.”)

(Le Show is a longtime favorite. It’s probably a net gain for humanity that Dick Cheney is no longer regularly in the news, but OTOH I miss hearing “Dick Cheney: Confidential.”)

8 Likes

I have no doubt that this will give him the ability to play the victim in his social circles, and likely even boost his social standing.

7 Likes

This is framed in such a way as to imply “youth minister” somehow is incongruous with the sexual assault, when it really isn’t. Creepy patriarchal religious dude does creepy patriarchal shit.

It’s amazing to me how many different, contradictory explanations there are just in bit of his “excuse.” He was trying to wave! (The implication being he never intended to touch her, except…) It was a misjudgement in character! (But let’s back off from that, because…) He doesn’t know where he touched her! Whoo boy. Seems like a guy who has done shit like this, and is just taken aback by being called out on it.

In the sense that it leaps right over the border into that territory…

11 Likes

I think people hear “criminal intent” and think, “Oh, it’s only a crime if I mean it as a crime?” You have criminal intent if you intended to do a thing and that thing was criminal. It has nothing to do with whether you thought what you were doing was okay or not. Saying you didn’t know that what you were doing was wrong at the time you slapped someone on the ass is an insanity defense (and the bar is really high).

But that was a statement from a lawyer who knows perfectly well what criminal intent means and knows their client had it.

19 Likes

If he had intentionally smacked her in the back of the head as he ran by there would be no doubt as to it being an assault. But because he instead slapped the rear end of someone that happens to be a woman, it becomes sexualized and is now a grey area as to whether or not the asshole should be held accountable for his actions. Quite the role model for the kids. /s

17 Likes

Ouch.

Even Lisbeth didn’t put the tat on the sexual predator’s forehead… though he would have deserved it, if she had.

12 Likes

Some decent men in his social circles will refuse to treat him like a victim. As anyone who notices my notes about hypocritical christians knows, I’m not pro-christian - but there are decent men even among evangelicals, men who don’t go along with the assholery of the rest of the herd, and treat women with respect. A few of them even vote democratic.

There are more atheists and free thinkers in evangelical churches than they know - people who are there because in their town, all social life revolves around churches, and they can’t handle being shunned.

This guy, of course, deserves all the punishment he eventually gets. He should certainly not be passing on these disgusting attitudes to kids.

2 Likes

“A misjudge in character”…as in he almost just benignly waved at the camera, then realized that he is a creepy fuck who likes to sexually assault women.

I hope Bozarjian isn’t pressured to let him off with a slap on the wrist. POS needs to be held accountable.

9 Likes

“But let’s stop with the Doxing. Just let him register as a low-level sex offender like everyone else who pulls this shit.”

By definition, being registered as a sex offender is doxxing. And there’s no indication that Callaway is even going to be arrested for what he has admitted to doing.

16 Likes

Well, I think the attacker misjudged their own character. Like they are really a loving husband and father and an upstanding member of the community, but in that moment they mistakenly thought they were an asshole who sexually assaults women on the street. You can see how their actions are really just that one misjudgment, and not criminal assault, right?

(sadly necessary /s)

13 Likes

If he had intentionally smacked her in the back of the head as he ran by there would be no doubt as to it being an assault.

Alternate thought experiment: Imagine Callaway has just been pulled over for speeding …

“While we regret the situation, Mr. Callaway did not act with any criminal intentions. Tommy is a loving husband and father who is very active in his community. We have been in touch with DOT, as well as members of Savannah law enforcement. We do not expect any criminal charges to arise from this incident, and we are working with those involved to correct the situation.”

Callaway said, “I was caught up in the moment. I was getting ready to pass the truck, there was a misjudge in character and decision-making. I touched the accelerator. I did not know exactly how fast I was going.”

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks …

12 Likes

Weak apology. It’s possible for people to redeem themselves, to an extent, after engaging in criminal behavior. That starts with taking ownership of the problem and showing heartfelt remorse. This clown didn’t do things that way.

3 Likes

I’m not surprised… it’s in a pretty conservative, rural part of the state, and on top of that, tons of tourists come there, especially for the St. Patrick’s day parade every year. It has a pretty strong bar scene.

6 Likes

Honestly…?

harrison-ford-who-gives

I guarantee that he has a long history of this fratty kind of behavior and has gotten away with it, because “boys will be boys” mentality.

I mean, he’s a youth pastor, so he’s a model citizen in a city like Statesboro, so no, he won’t get into any trouble… I’m sure he’s good friends with people in power in Statesboro, too and they’ll rally round him…

18 Likes

He’s just a good ol’ boy, never meanin no harm.

Quite the opposite. Is Dan Savage still doing his youth pastor watch column, or did it already get boring from the sheer volume of them?

6 Likes