Republican lawmaker who dared AOC to come visit coal miners in his constituency gets scared, withdraws offer

32 Likes

Well, it’s certainly their MO

19 Likes

Andy Barr’s district is Lexington and the surrounding area. There’s probably more AOC fans than coal miners in it.

14 Likes

That could be because misogynists are actually afraid of girls, and of old men who remember when most of the USA hated Nazis.

17 Likes

AOC might try that - but I doubt they would bite. The Republicans have more or less seemed to completely moved away from any public bi-partisanship, and employ the tactic that “everything the Democrats do/want is bad”.

7 Likes

Is it wrong of me that at first glance I read that as “hunted Nazis?” Could be one too many Hoegaardens, but I liked that version better.

6 Likes

Hated and hunted would be better by an order of magnitude.

6 Likes

TGOP = Bedwetters

FACT!

5 Likes

That’s unfair.

Bedwetters don’t deserve to be denigrated like that.

14 Likes

You have my deepest apologies.

8 Likes

Liked, but not really fair to Super Chicken to compare him to Barr. (There was a patrician villain in the series who was called The Noodle and who resembled Barr a bit.)

2 Likes

It’s a 1 hour, 40 minute flight from Washington DC to Lexington Kentucky. AOC could fly out in the morning and back in the afternoon. Wouldn’t that piss off Rep. Barr!

6 Likes
20 Likes

So is it against the law to visit coal miners without an invitation from republican lawmakers? I guess since they’re lawmakers they could make a law to make it against the law.

1 Like

It’s like so many of these Republicans have never had to actually defend their positions and policies to anyone.

Also, I’m tremendously amused by how much discomfort AOC, a freshman House representative, is causing to the Republicans by simply asking pointed questions and understanding social media. :slight_smile:

28 Likes

I find it sad that the only real opposition is coming from just 3 people. Where are all the other sane democrats? Let’s just hope these are the first of many more to come.

13 Likes

I thought that “Medicare for all” was simply intended as a way of referring to universal healthcare in terms of something familiar to Americans, without using terms ike “single payer” or getting bogged down in explanations of how it would work.

12 Likes

Let’s not forget that these same coal miners fought (and lost) a real-bullets class war in 1912. If I were their Republican representative, the last thing I would do is invite an agitator like AOC into that hornet’s nest.

These mining families have been shit on by the elites for a long time. The DNC under Clinton seemed to turn its back on these “deplorables”, and that is a lost opportunity. Under the Republicans, the miners get screwed with or without resumed coal production. It’s Dutch Door Action. How could that be anything but a fertile recruiting ground for progressive policy?

10 Likes

Is “lack of civility” the new “uppity” for mealy-mouthed shit-weasels?

21 Likes

Ah, but which kyrptonite?

Since it seems to turn them into giant babies, probably some type of red kryptonite.

10 Likes