Republican New York State Assembly leader publishes anti-drunk driving PSA shortly before drunkenly crashing a state-owned car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/06/leandras-law.html

It has been a couple of weeks- I assume he has not resigned yet.

7 Likes

Why would he resign?
He has most likely been forgiven now.
Unlike Godless Atheist Democrats™ who, because they are Godless, cannot be forgiven and must of course resign. :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

the article itself said he resigned, it was announced within a day or two.

7 Likes

Seems like he took personal responsibility, which is something anyway. However, according to the chart linked below, he would have needed to consume at least 4 or 5 drinks to get a blood alcohol percentage of 0.08. You would really figure that someone who made drunk driving a political priority would think twice before driving after downing that many whiskey sours (or whatever).

https://www.businessinsider.com/drinks-before-driving-if-bac-is-05-2013-5

9 Likes

Hypocrisy is a good way to make sure you are half right and all.

6 Likes

“I don’t practice what I preach because I’m not the kind of person I’m preaching to.” - J.R. “Bob” Dobbs

19 Likes

It said he resigned as minority leaders, not that he resigned from the assembly.

3 Likes

tenor

2 Likes

I wonder how this may or may not balance out against NYS politicians successfully flashing their get-out-of-jail-free ‘cards’.

Well of course not! If he quits, his probation officer is going to be all up on him about getting a job, and it’s hard to get a job with a recent DUI.

4 Likes

We are relying on people using their best judgement not to break the law. But the system is clearly doesn’t work when even the people making the laws can’t manage to comply with laws while intoxicated. We go “make it a felony” as if people weigh the consequences before their actions. It’s obviously not an effective deterrent.

Maybe we should force drunks to take anti-alcohol drugs. IDK

This. Dude is still a hypocrite and likely shitweasel, but at least he knows how to issue a real apology. Seriously, this could be a good template to work from, but so many people issue shitty non-pologies at best and often victim-blaming BS fuck-off-ologies instead.

11 Likes

Holy shit that escalated quickly.

3 Likes

Someone help me with the correct pronunciation of Canandaigua.

And though Wiki tells me differently, I’m convinced early settlers thought they were in the Nicaraguan part of Canada.

1 Like

can an DAY gwa

7 Likes

I’m sure you can! :wink:

And welcome!

1 Like

Didn’t need to read the article to guess this happened in Western New York :rofl:

Not sure why this is tagged “Republicans”. Alcoholism isn’t a political issue.

Being two-faced is a political issue, and republicans certainly have been on the top of that game, but at least this guy didn’t follow the Drumpf playbook and deny it.

1 Like

Because he’s a Republican would be the obvious answer.

1 Like