Republican ousts Liz Cheney, last party leader to resist Trump

The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy, and nothing more. Their other actions will decide whether they are an ally or not, and Liz would not be my ally except in the direst of circumstances.

13 Likes

The threat of a republican split now looms larger than ever before - we all must work for this and encourage it. Their divide will keep them from power.

9 Likes

If only they could have managed that with RBG.

One of the illuminating things about this is that Liz Cheney has a more conservative record, and indeed voted more often for bills that Trump supported than her likely replacement Elise Stefanik. But in the weird cult of personality that has taken over the GOP policies are unimportant. The ONLY thing that matters is personal loyalty to the God-King Trump. This was obvious when the GOP declined to even pretend to have a party platform for the election and it is ever more obvious now. Stoking grievances and “owning” libs have been enough to propel Trump to the unchallenged role as dear leader of the GOP.

9 Likes
35 Likes

Traditionally, they only drag Bentham out once a year. Trump will be seated behind a gold plated replica of the “Resolute Desk” while his animatronic skull recites quotes from the great man. This is part of the “Premium” tour at Trumpland available for just $5000 (on top of the $400 tickets to get into the shrine.

7 Likes

It’s so bizarre that the Republican party is doubling down in support of a loser. It’s like betting on the losingest horse at the race track and somehow thinking just because you’re betting on him he’ll start to win even though he’s a confirmed loser.

12 Likes

They don’t even do that, but the myth is that his corpse attends all UCL meetings.

4 Likes

Especially since so much of the rationale for rank & file Republicans supporting him is that he is supposedly so good at delivering votes. As David Frum and others have pointed out the only major-party candidate of the 21st Century to get a smaller percentage of the vote was John McCain in 2008:

1. Obama 2008: 52.9%
  2. Biden 2020: 51.3%
  3. Obama 2012: 51.1%
  4. Bush 2004: 50.7%
  5. Gore 2000: 48.4%
  6. Kerry 2004: 48.3%
  7. Clinton 2016: 48.2%
  8. Bush 2000: 47.9%
  9. Romney 2012: 47.2%
  10. Trump 2020: 46.9%
  11. Trump 2016: 46.1%
  12. McCain 2008: 45.7%

Romney won over a larger portion of the voters during his run for office than Trump did with either of his, yet the popular narrative is that Romney is a total loser and Trump is an electoral juggernaut.

19 Likes

The split already happened, nearly 70 years ago now.

4 Likes

last I checked there is still one GOP and one Dem party. We need a split that will break the republican voting block in congress and state legislatures into two, and two parties running candidates against a single democrat.

10 Likes

My understanding is that they used to, but stopped decades ago.

1 Like

The rule of law is a surprisingly fragile thing. We are within an inch of losing it in the United States.

7 Likes

The enemy of my enemy may be a useful tool until they prove that they have changed their stripes. Until then, a tool to be used and nothing more.

9 Likes
12 Likes

Bah! It’s not a proper Night of the Long Knives without the knives.

10 Likes

Like money, it’s a social construct that might even be classified as a shared illusion.

If people stop believing in it then it ceases to exist.

9 Likes

Oh my god I wish she did this.

9 Likes

shame

7 Likes

The Republican Party has had a rock-solid grasp of the power of branding for as long as I can remember.

2 Likes

It would be great it they’d stop doing it with red-hot iron and start using brochures or something instead…

7 Likes