Republican rivals team up to stop Trump at all costs

[Read the post]

1 Like

It does make them look weak, but at least it doesn’t make Drumpf look strong. His flaming bluster and bald stupidity made sure there’s none of that to be found.

4 Likes

Republican rivals team up to stop Trump at all costs

And that won’t work either, thanks GOP.

8 Likes

The two candidates, at opposite spectrums of the Republican spectrum

Not so much. While Kasich presents himself as the moderate alternative, he as Gov of Ohio has taken fairly close positions on the major issues to Cruz and Rose to power on a similar populist platform.

Someone like a Romney might represent the other end of the spectrum.

11 Likes

Right? Too little, too late, I think. They’ve really painted themselves into a corner this year, haven’t they? The horrible chickens have come home to roost for sure.

13 Likes

I think that what they actually agree on is the idea that Trump is bad for the Republican Party. There are plenty who believe that with Trump on the ticket, even Hillary can get elected. DESPITE a decade of trash talking by the Republican commentariat.

Please don’t feed the myth that Kasich is in any way a moderate opposite Cruz.

They are two ultra conservative peas in a pod, differing only in minor details.

They may profess different faiths, but let’s be realistic - nobody believing an immortal and prudish ghost-father controlls the universe is fit to rule a nation in the 21st century.

Trump is their superior in that, if nothing else.

23 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

“To ensure that we nominate a Republican who can unify the Republican Party and win in November, our campaign will focus its time and resources in Indiana and in turn clear the path for Gov. Kasich to compete in Oregon and New Mexico, and we would hope that allies of both campaigns would follow our lead,” wrote Cruz’s campaign manager, Jeff Roe.

Good luck with that. Isn’t there a ton of racism, including lots of overt white supremacists (who of course support Trump), in all three of those states?

5 Likes

Kasich does a really good job of pretending to be a moderate; anyone who’s followed his career in Ohio knows what an utter phony he is. He’s the textbook stereotype of a politician who’ll say anything that sounds good into a microphone while plowing through ultra-conservative legislation behind people’s backs. The difference is that Cruz broadcasts his nutty ideas proudly while Kasich hides them.

By no means, however, do I think that being a Christian disqualifies someone from office. Being a Christian who thinks their religion overrides the nation’s laws, well, that’s a different story.

22 Likes

The horrible Drumpfs have come home to roost for sure.

4 Likes

“It’s different when we say horrific stuff! I mean, he doesn’t even really mean it!”

13 Likes

Counting down to “Suicide Squad” preview remix in 3…2…

2 Likes

It shows how far things have gone when a semi-sentient, barely mobile trash heap of bigotry and ignorance like Kasich is seen as the moderate.

Our best hope is that it goes to a contested ballot and someone has the foresight to lock all the doors on the conference hall and turn off the TV feed.

6 Likes

Trump is CONSTANTLY saying what an amazing Christian he is. He named the Bible as his favorite book, narrowly edging out The Art of the Deal. He says he attends Church regularly. He’s openly speculated that the IRS may be hitting him with all these audits because “he’s a strong Christian.”

Clearly all those claims are bald-faced lies, but then who is to say Cruz and Kasich’s professed beliefs are genuine either?

7 Likes

9 Likes

I like that the press release reads exactly like I imagine a screamed, repetitive, substance-less diatribe would be recrafted by newly-hired veteran political communication hacks.

Even fascists can’t get good help these days.

2 Likes

Fascists don’t win over the public by making the most reasoned or substantive arguments. They win over the public by making the loudest ones.

2 Likes

Oh, no, please don’t do that. At least capture the bloodsport on tape, then maybe release it a decade later under the “Faces of Death” VHS line.

1 Like

That would be none of them. Well, Kasich might have a chance because he’s not gotten any attention and a lot of people don’t seem to realize what a horrible reactionary he really is, given how often he’s described as “moderate.” But really, the Republicans have done a great job of winnowing down their candidates to a bunch of unlikeable reactionary assholes.

6 Likes