Reputed Kremlin leak shows Putin's support for a 'mentally unstable' Trump controlled by 'kompromat'

Originally published at: Reputed Kremlin leak shows Putin's support for a 'mentally unstable' Trump controlled by 'kompromat' | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I hope it’s a fake document written in retrospect, because if it’s not… the plan went fairly well.

21 Likes

I know what you mean, but it almost doesn’t matter now, does it? Russia was clearly delighted that Trump became president, whether or not they helped him get there (FWIW, I believe they almost certainly did).

People have made up their minds long ago, and there’s nothing now that will persuade anyone that Trump is/isn’t what they already believe him to be.

34 Likes

One wonders if “leaking” the document is not an attempt to create further division.

24 Likes

28 Likes

None (here) are surprised. Here’s hoping that these a bit too late revelations may still shift some of the less sycophantic republicans (“That’s doubtful”).

Here’s the central question: Why is Putin dumping this now, or at all? (Next-up: that pee-tape that none of us ever needed to see…)

19 Likes

Lordy, I hope there are tapes

7 Likes

I think it’s noteworthy that the exact nature of the kompromat is not revealed in this document, just alluded to.

15 Likes

A bit convenient that details of the supposed kompromat were left out of the document… I’m skeptical of these claims, post-Steele, but they also don’t really matter - it became clear that Trump was totally beholden to Putin, whatever the reason, and it was clear from his interactions with various dictators that he was quite manipulable even in the absence of any kompromat.

20 Likes

Skepticism is warranted.

24 Likes

In the weird post-reality world of today, Putin could have leaked it himself so he could then deny it.

The Pee Tape-- is it real, is it fake? It was so real it had to be fake.

9 Likes

Just a reminder to everyone: even if a slam-dunk-it’s-real pee tape or other similar video comes to light, it will only make his base support him even more.

20 Likes

Whether it is genuine or not, I do not believe it was “leaked.” I don’t think the Kremlin “leaks” at all, at least not unintentionally. More effort to turn us into (more) of a dysfunctional shithole than we already are. We could stop it, if 40% of us weren’t dead-set on promoting the interests of what they see as the Great White Hope in Putin. As it is, barring something truly horrible shifting our attention, we are screwed.

23 Likes

6 Likes

It cryptically refers to “certain events” that happened during “non-official visits to Russian Federation territory.”

The purported leak

A “Leak”, eh?

12 Likes

I have no doubt any kompromat that might exist has to do with his decades of flagrantly laundering money for Russian gangsters. It is likely comprehensive, detailed and true, and if released will lead to most Trumps ending up in prison.

19 Likes

This. Either they deliberately leaked it to make people think they could do that to the election, or to show people they can actually have that level of influence (most likely), or it’s Western intelligence agencies pretending to have a leaked document to fuck with Russia (less likely). The most unlikely is that it’s real, and the TLAs are saying ‘look at the cool stuff out spies found out!’ out of the goodness of their hearts.

4 Likes

Flooding the zone with…even more…bullshit.

4 Likes

American Intelligence: “Trump is a dangerous moron.”
Trump followers: “You can’t believe American intelligence! Trump is beating Putin at 3D chess!”
Russian Intelligence: “Trump is a mentally unstable moron we control with kompromat.”
Trump followers, probably: “You can’t believe Russian intelligence! Trump is beating Biden at 3D chess!”

8 Likes

Putin succeeded beyond his wildest dreams:

In 2014, 22 percent of Republicans said that Russia was an ally, this was from a Gallup poll. That number’s now 40 percent," Cannon told Hill.TV’s Joe Concha on “What America’s Thinking,” referring to two Gallup polls on American attitudes toward Moscow.

And Republicans now like Putin more than they like Biden.

15 Likes