Reputed Kremlin leak shows Putin's support for a 'mentally unstable' Trump controlled by 'kompromat'

Between cats and mice, cats are never in the majority in a household.
Similarly, racist police who kill civilians are just the smallest fraction of a community’s population.

It’s really not about numbers. It’s about power, which means the ability to cause harm without consequence.

4 Likes

I’m afraid that what open minded, thoughtful people would consider kompromat
his base would call heroic actions of the god-king.

1 Like

I don’t think the point is to cause chaos- this is just a little bump to keep the flywheel on the anger and outrage machine turning. Whoever did this wants to keep Trump present and potent and make sure the focus stays on him, not on the Biden administration’s policy goals and progress. Heck, the likely effect of this leak aligns so well with Trump’s strategy over the past 8 years that I’m halfway convinced he released it himself.

5 Likes

We agree.

I will say mice don’t organize.

I will also say that it’s up to each one of us to call out

and

because

does have consequences, when people are harmed.

3 Likes

They (or rather, Putin) very well might have decided that trump is unlikely to be very useful to them in the future (in that he’s unlikely to regain power himself, he’s old, in poor health, mentally unstable, and his money-laundering businesses are currently under indictment) and tossing some more cans of gasoline on the current fire to keep it burning is what gets them the most mileage out of it. They might even release details of the money laundering to inflate the exposure the trial gets (and/or to help make sure the trial goes forward) so-as to ensure the criminality of the former administration is constantly in view to embarrass the US as much as possible to the rest of the world, and prove that the US really isn’t any better than Russia.

4 Likes

this. totally.

i mean we know russia has supported the nra. we know the russian oligarchs supported trump by buying up his condos. we know russian bots created and retweeted fake news on all the platforms. we even know they at least attempted to organize protests and counter protests on the same day in the same place to create chaos.

they’re full on supporting republicans and other white supremacists - it’s really only: did they collude with trump ( probably ), and did they use damaging info to control him ( could be, but he’s so transparently narcissistic did they really need to? he’d be easy for powerful people to control. )

and like others said, i mostly want to know just on the off chance it’s prosecutable

6 Likes

Put it out, let it gain a bit of traction, then debunk it, either directly or more likely though a third party. It further increases polarization and weakens trust in fact based media. Keeping rage and distrust high makes the process of performing other manipulation easier.

3 Likes

All of this discussion is correct. We can’t trust the leak. It may be true, it may not, but any leak coming out of the Kremlin must be suspect. Any reporting of this leak will only further calcify right/left bubbles. Biden may have won, but in short…

2 Likes

Given the amount of twisty thinking in everyone’s comments compared to the somewhat breathless reportage in the Guardian, we’ve all clearly got a future as FSB operatives

2 Likes

They are done with Trump and are clearing the way for their next Manchurian Candidate (DeSantis).

1 Like

The fable “belling the cat” concerns a council of mice who try to neutralize the threat of the household cat. They decide to hang a bell on its collar, so they can hear its movements. The problem is, which mouse is going to hang the bell on the cat’s collar? Leading to the moral that a plan can be desirable, even possible, but not able to be executed.

The consequences for racist (or “just” corrupt) cops is that they’re fired from their current position and rehired one or two counties over. It’s a thing. We could de-militarize the police, break the police union, require courts to treat a cop murdering a civilian as if a civilian murdered a civilian, and ensure that if a cop is fired they lose their ability to “be” a cop and can never be hired by another jurisdiction.

For sure, we should do those things, we must do those things. But I will be amazingly, astoundingly surprised if it happens in my lifetime.

2 Likes

OT but this is applicable in all kinds of situations. The deferred maintenance on the condominium at Seaside and the collapse of that building… the HOA kept saying “we need to do this” but there just wasn’t the buy-in necessary for that plan (the required maintenance) to go forward.

Agreed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.