“Responsible Gun Ownership”

Remember a year or so ago, gentlemen were taking pictures of themselves pointing guns at their own nuts?

10 Likes

In a more rational country we’d have say - decent firearms safety course requirements, limits on assault weapons, licensing and insurance requirements. No gun show purchase exceptions. Magazine capacity limits etc.

But I live in ‘Murica - so I guess I should start a business selling Kevlar sports cups.

Hey gents - enhance and protect your second most prized possession.

8 Likes
5 Likes

“ An 8-year-old brought a gun to his West Philadelphia elementary school Thursday morning and accidentally discharged it in the school courtyard, police said, prompting the school to briefly go on lockdown.

At 8:55 a.m., less than an hour into the start of the school day at West Philadelphia Achievement Charter Elementary School, the child discharged the gun in the outside yard, police said.

The school went on lockdown for about 20 minutes. No injuries have been reported.

Police said the child is being held in custody.

The incident is under investigation, and police did not have additional information to immediately share, said spokesperson and officer Miguel Torres.

“He’s 8 years old. We gotta figure out where that gun came from,” Torres said.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

6 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Cannot :heart: this

11 Likes

Yeah, that’s how I feel about this entire thread.

8 Likes

“Shoots at workers”??
Way to bury the lede, he shot one of them 5 times.

5 Likes
5 Likes

At least he only hurt himself. That’s a win in my book.

12 Likes

How did he get a gun into a courthouse?

9 Likes

FTA:
Georgia law allows district attorneys and their assistant prosecutors to carry guns inside courthouses in the state.

3 Likes

Well, they are the Good Guys™, after all. Who wouldn’t trust them with a gun?

(/s, in case it’s needed)

5 Likes

And we all know that an armed society is a polite society.

3 Likes

Because no DA or ADA has ever done crime…

…in Georgia or other places…

8 Likes

As to the Duelling Part which belongs to it, I pity the Unfortunate whose Lot it is; but to say, that those who are guilty of it go by false Rules, or mistake the Notions of Honour, is ridiculous; for either there is no Honour at all, or it teaches Men to resent Injuries, and accept of Challenges. You may as well deny that it is the Fashion what you see every body wear, as to say that demanding and giving Satisfaction is against the Laws of true Honour. Those that rail at Duelling don’t consider the Benefit the Society receives from that Fashion: If every ill-bred Fellow might use what Language he pleas’d, without being called to an Account for it, all Conversation would be spoil’d. Some grave People tell us, that the Greeks and Romans were such valiant Men, and yet knew nothing of Duelling but in their Country’s Quarrel: This is very true, but for that Reason the Kings and Princes in Homer gave one another worse Language than our Porters and Hackney Coachmen would be able to bear without Resentment.

Would you hinder Duelling, pardon no body that offends that way, and make the Laws against it as severe as you can, but don’t take away the thing it self, the Custom of it. This will not only prevent the Frequency of it, but likewise by rendring the most resolute and most powerful cautious and circumspect in their Behaviour, polish and brighten Society in general. Nothing civilizes a Man equally as his Fear, and if not all, (as my Lord Rochester said) at least most Men would be Cowards if they durst: The dread of being called to an Account keeps abundance in awe, and there are thousands of mannerly and well-accomplish’d Gentlemen in Europe, who would have been insolent and insupportable Coxcombs without it; besides if it was out of Fashion to ask Satisfaction for Injuries which the Law cannot take hold of, there would be twenty times the Mischief done there is now, or else you must have twenty times the Constables and other Officers to keep the Peace. I confess that though it happens but seldom, it is a Calamity to the People, and generally the Families it falls upon; but there can be no perfect Happiness in this World, and all Felicity has an Allay. The Act it self is uncharitable, but when above thirty in a Nation destroy themselves in one Year, and not half that Number are killed by others, I don’t think the People can be said to love their Neighbours worse than themselves. It is strange that a Nation should grudge to see perhaps half a dozen Men sacrific’d in a Twelvemonth to obtain so valuable a Blessing, as the Politeness of Manners, the Pleasure of Conversation, and the Happiness of Company in general, that is often so willing to expose, and sometimes loses as many thousands in a few Hours, without knowing whether it will do any good or not.

–Bernard Mandeville, the Fable of the Bees

Perhaps Richard Curtis and Ben Elton consulted it when writing Duel and Duality. It certainly sounds like Heinlein did.

1 Like
5 Likes

A totally normal event in small town red state america

8 Likes
8 Likes