Rest in Peace, dance legend Shabba-Doo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/31/rest-in-peace-dance-legend-shabba-doo.html

6 Likes

I have a friend who actually started a breakdancing company (sold tapes and breakdancing gear) and I loved the movie Breakin’, but I never knew how locking started till now.

I had no idea Shabba Doo was an original dancer on Soul Train either till now.

I am embarrassed to have not known these awesome things. The guy had seriously audacious style- but he pulled it off every time.

RIP Shabba

6 Likes

I’d never heard of him until last night. Easy Rider came on,and I wanted to know about the commune scene (a fake, but apparently based on New Buffalo).

So I spent time reading about the secondary cast,and Tony Basil and her dance career, including working with this guy.

4 Likes

This one really bummed me out yesterday. More so than Dawn Wells. As an 80’s kid I loved the Breakin’ movies and even before that, I was a huge fan of Xanadu, where he appears as a dancer as well. R.I.P., Ozone.

5 Likes

a boyhood hero of mine.

here’s another Toni Basil collab which I believe Shabba Doo is in. a subsequent version that aired on SNL mentions him by name but I cannot find that one.

5 Likes

I love it, but it kind of annoys me that the audience laughs at the street dancers, since they’re just as good as the ballerinas.

5 Likes

RIP:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.