Retired Marine Lt. Col. Amy McGrath is running for congress in Kentucky

I’m actually fairly bilingual – both American and English – so indeed my vocabulary encompases the transpondific meaning of ‘birds’. However, USA and all that so the Phantom, ugly as it has always been, was my intent. There are far, far, too many ways to play on ‘fast birds’ to even begin.

Moving? Really?

The irony, it hurts.

I have a lot of problems with this ad. Maybe in her district the military jingoism plays well, and everyone loves a feel good “I overcame adversity to achieve my dreams” story, but when you break down the logic of her pitch it makes no sense. I appreciate how she overcame the sexism in her path, but not sure how that makes her more qualified than any other woman who has managed to achieve in a sexist society. Judging by just this video, the only concrete reason laid out to vote for her is if you agree with her on the healthcare issue.

She appeals to:
I landed on aircraft carriers! Isn’t that awesome!
I was just as much of an asshole to the brown countries as the men are!
My mother was awesome!
Did I mention I landed on aircraft carriers?

2 Likes

Thanks, and understood. I am congenitally unable to resist a play on words and this one jumped off the screen at me. I was, of course, the one being disingenuous. :wink:

It doesn’t, but it does establish that a person cares about the country “even if they are a democrat”, it seems like a good thing for anyone running for office to point out…

…not because it means they will be good, but because a lot of people think it does, and actually getting ellected is a very big part of the job.

Holy crap, people. This ad literally brought tears to this old Democrat’s eyes. Then I come here and read the comments.

Ugh. It’s no wonder the Democrats can’t win elections.

6 Likes

The US retired all F4s as of last year. The USMC retired their last F4 in 1992.

Of course. It’s that there background designer-music y’know. Moving you. That is.

Is it normal in the US for the military to be involved in the creation of campaign material?

“Militarised police state” is a defensible description.

2 Likes

I suspect that is why she is posing in front of a plane that she wasn’t the pilot of…probably a museum piece or privately owned.

3 Likes

Last I checked there are still plenty around in the National Guard. Of course, the National Guard has lots of museum pieces in service. If nothing else, they make for great attractions at air shows.

Example: a few years back I took my kids to an airshow in the Phoenix area and there was an ANG pilot there with an ANG P-80. Pretty near twice as old as he was, I suspect.

1 Like

OMG a sane person running for office in Kentucky!

Good Luck Colonel!.

I love this. It came up as a link after the posted video. Despite the poster’s headline ("…stumbles Through CNN Interview…"), she answers exactly as one should if running as a democrat in Kentucky.

Seems a bit ironic that the best early “military-industrial complex” alarm was raised by Eisenhower at the end of his presidency.

Given that armed conflict isn’t going to go away anytime soon, I don’t mind seeing ex-military personnel running for office…if for no other reason than having realistic-ish expectations about capabilities and consequences. (For instance, Lincoln never really saw action in the Black Hawk War while serving in the Illinois Militia, but he did get detailed to bury a lot of bodies…something he never forgot. Compare to Cheney, or Trump.)

I think it’s great when people who have dedicated their lives to some form of public service enter politics, I just wish a larger portion of them had backgrounds in fields like education and social work. Almost all our elected representatives have backgrounds in law, business, the military or some combination of the three with maybe one or two former doctors thrown in for variety. We need a bigger mix.

And it seems very telling that he waited until he was leaving to do it. While president he seemed to have had no problems with the expansion of the military-industrial complex.

Which has lead us down a very dark road where a plutocratic pussy grabbing madman is being propped up by people with backgrounds in law, business, the military or some combination of the three.
People who have a career track in politics or the growth of personal power shouldn’t be trusted or applauded in my view.

Ft. Knox is in the district she’s running for. So, yes, it’s a good bet that jingoism sells there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.