Injured combat veteran runs against Texas tea party congressman who wouldn't meet with her

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/21/injured-combat-veteran-runs-ag.html

18 Likes

Wish I could vote in Texas. She’s got mine. Maybe a donation…

19 Likes

I really wish her the best. The district she’s running in is the north side of Austin, but all the Congressional districts in that area of Texas are gerrymandered to hell to ensure “safe” seats for R’s to purposely neuter the “blue bubble”.

28 Likes

THAT was a fantastic video. Seriously good.

20 Likes

I really liked the cut from the door in the living room to the helicopter. And MJ Hegar has got a really natural manner on camera too by the looks of it (thinking of all the awkward career politicians I’ve seen struggle to appear human in the media). I wish her all the best.

26 Likes

Run ladies run! Grab em by the mid-terms.

27 Likes

Moving beyond “maybe”:

15 Likes

I really like how the Tea Party rep instituted a pay-to-play policy, and will only talk to donors. That is true Libertarian initiative. People should be charged for any and all services. /s

16 Likes

Fantastic. I’d even say worthy of a vote. If it wasn’t for a fact that both Democrats and Republicans do the exact same thing: work for lobbyists.

2 Likes

Kickass! Go get 'em, MJ! (Also, pretty cool using Gimmie Shelter as the background music)

4 Likes

Nope. You don’t get to do this anymore. This “I’m so sick of both parties” attitude was really cool and punk in the early 2000s, when it got us the longest war in United States history and the worst economic disaster since the depression. It was also really cool and retro-punk in 2016, where it got us Donald Trump and concentration camps filled with kids. Get off your ass, vote for the lesser of two evils. Because you know what? The lesser of two evils is LESS FUCKING EVIL.

67 Likes

Agree totally. The whole “they’re both just as bad” shit is over with.

27 Likes

so part of her platform is non-interventionism, diminution of the military-industrial state, swords into ploughshares?

Dude’s giving away the game. Politicians work for campaign donors, not the people they are supposed to represent.

8 Likes

Holy Fuck, I love that Woman! I’ll find the link to send a donation and post it.

8 Likes

Not to mention, a woman running explicitly on “my representative refused to listen to me because I didn’t give him money” seems like the least likely person to immediately leap in bed with lobbyists the moment they get into office.

You want more of this sort of person. Not less.

33 Likes

Oh yeah. That’s Cornyn and Cruz territory. You have any idea how gerrymandered you have to be to get Cruz elected?

6 Likes

Did Martin Scorcese direct this?

6 Likes

MJ Hegar… may I recommend a frontal attack using all assets.

2 Likes

You do what you gotta do. I will just say this: each new administration is using some previous administration to justify whatever they are doing now (not only in 2000s, go back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s). So yeah, I am sick of both parties. There are other parties (Green) and other candidates. It is sad that his woman, who served her country, has to run with a support of one of these parties, who sent her over there. Again, do whatever you want with your vote, but I would vote for something good and decent.

2 Likes